blue ramirezi ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These fish are quite beautiful and definitely worth trying. Unfortunately one of mine died, I didn't even have it a year 8O And I've been having trouble finding another one locally so now I have a lonely one. But I really do like these fish and would recommend them to others despite their fragileness.

Attachments

• germanbllueramskissingforweb.jpg
    germanbllueramskissingforweb.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 39
FWIW...it is a known fact that German Blue Rams are not the most hardiest of fish. If you read the profile that was linked, the issue is explained.

I personally had almost given up on them after my first pair died within two weeks. The research I began to discover why led me to try again. I have 4 German Blues that are over 7 months old.

I had a pair in Germany that got 1.5 years old until I had to sell the tank to move to America. I now have a pair that thrives and already spawned!

Rams are finicky with water quality. I purchased 6 expecting to only have 3 or 4 survive, but months later they are all still in the tank and thriving.

I guess it also depends where they are bred. In German forums I have never heard about them being sensitive with water conditions. So if you get some tank raised ones from a hobbyist on lets say aquabid.com, you might be safer. Or the quality your lfs has is good enough anyway.

Tiffi: The results on this side of the pond are quite different than Germany obviously. The German blues available here are mostly imports from Asia. There is documentation of what the breeder's (fish farms) there are doing to maximize spawns, as well as coloration. This has weakened not only the fish itself, but has weakened the gene pool.

This has resulted in a fish that is "sensitive" to not only water conditions, but acclimation, diet and just about everything else that can/could go wrong. It is not uncommon for a hobbyist to purchase a GBR and have it die prematurely.

The research I did makes it clear that you can be successful if you have fish that were spawns of a wild caught...up to F5. Or, healthy spawns of dedicated breeder's.

Back
Top Bottom