Blue tang.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benwolfe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Yesterday I brought home an anemone and a baby blue tang. Everything seemed to be going ok before I went to bed last night. This morning the blue tang was gone. I've been looking for hours. Even moved some rocks to see if it got stuck somewhere. Is it possible the anemone ate it. I also have 2 small clowns, diamond goby, 6 line, some snails and crabs too.

Attachments

• image-3492445596.jpg
    image-3492445596.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 139
I can't say anything about the anemone, but I had a very large cichlid disappear from my freshwater tank before. I removed every single decoration in the tank, and couldn't find him. I thought t would be impossible for him to escape through the <2" gap between the lid and the tank which also held the large tubes of the cannister filter. But I checked around the room everywhere, and finally found my dried up cichlid in a bag of aquarium supplies :'(

It's a 40. I know that it's small. But I was going to keep it for a while then trade it for different fish later down the road

The blue tang was only an inch in size

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhhh... The Regal Blue tangs will sometimes lie down on their side when stressed. You sure he isn't behind a rock or sometjing?

I've looked everywhere. I even moved rocks. Now rear you say that, I wonder if the diamond goby buried it

I mean. Now that you say that

Last edited by a moderator:
I would take the same guess that the baby blue tang swam into a hungry anemone. The little ones are especially naive when it comes to figuring out what to stay away from. The stress of an unfamiliar environment probably led to an expensive meal for the nem.

Not to rub salt in the wound, but I realize baby blue tangs are practically irresistable, but they get huge fast and need a good deal of room to stretch their fins.

Close confines and an active swimmer are a recipe for disaster with an Anemone. Looks like a Sebae

Very pretty nem! I actually seen one exactly like that at my local Petco, and they had it labeled as a condy nem.. But petcos rarely right on about anything lol. And plus, they had it labeled for $8.50!! The only thing that kept me from buying it was the condition of all their fish is extremely poor there, and I don't buy anything from them besides supplies for that reason. But I digress... Good luck on finding the tang!

So what is the best tank size for a Blue Hippo Tang? I know a lot of people that say 75 gallon minimal!! So LA Fishguys would still be wrong. Every site I have been to but two has said 75 gallon minimal with only one saying 55+. One site said 180 gallon minimal. So who is right and who is wrong? I was told by two people that a 90 gallon wouldn't be good for the Blue Hippo, but I also talked to a lot that says a 90 gallon is perfect. I am so confused that I myself won't get a Blue Tang until I have a 125 gallon at least.

So what is the best tank size for a Blue Hippo Tang? I know a lot of people that say 75 gallon minimal!! So LA Fishguys would still be wrong. Every site I have been to but two has said 75 gallon minimal with only one saying 55+. One site said 180 gallon minimal. So who is right and who is wrong? I was told by two people that a 90 gallon wouldn't be good for the Blue Hippo, but I also talked to a lot that says a 90 gallon is perfect. I am so confused that I myself won't get a Blue Tang until I have a 125 gallon at least.

Can a blue tang live healthily in a 75-90? Possibly. Happily? I would say no.
125 minimum for a small to mid sized one, and 180 for a full grown one.
I'm not the tang police, but I do feel that we owe it to the animals to keep them happy. It's better to have a fish too small for the tank, than a tank too small for the fish. These guys get big and they are open water swimmers.

Yes a Blue Regal Tang can live a happy and healthy life within a 75-90 gallon tank. Bigger is always better, but there's nothing wrong with a 75-90 gallon. As I said earlier I have a happy and healthy Blue Regal in my 55 gallon. He likes to be hand fed, likes to graze, and loves the power head flow. He also seems to be the one who keeps the peace between other fish.

willbratz said:
Yes a Blue Regal Tang can live a happy and healthy life within a 75-90 gallon tank. Bigger is always better, but there's nothing wrong with a 75-90 gallon. As I said earlier I have a happy and healthy Blue Regal in my 55 gallon. He likes to be hand fed, likes to graze, and loves the power head flow. He also seems to be the one who keeps the peace between other fish.

I personally couldn't imagine keeping a regal tang in a 55 gallon. To me, that seems cruel knowing the size they grow to. I'm not by any means bashing you or anything like that, I just personally couldn't do it. And IF I ever did do it, I especially wouldn't have other fish with it... But to each their own... What works for one might not work for the next...

I personally couldn't imagine keeping a regal tang in a 55 gallon. To me, that seems cruel knowing the size they grow to. I'm not by any means bashing you or anything like that, I just personally couldn't do it. And IF I ever did do it, I especially wouldn't have other fish with it... But to each their own... What works for one might not work for the next...

Yeah a one foot fish, in a tank with a one foot width

Back
Top Bottom