Blue tang.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is never going to be a consensus for Tangs. Most sites will say 120-180 for the larger Tangs. Smaller bristle tooth types (kole, etc) are probably okay in 75-90. There will always be stories (as we already have in this thread) of a Regal or Yellow tang living for years in smaller. My question would be "Did it grow to the size, a foot, that it should have?". If not, then we have stunted growth, which can't be good. I know someone with five Koi in a 35 and they have been in there for seven years. They should be in a pond of probably 750-1000 gallons. Target are nowhere near as large as they should be, but appear healthy.

I tend to agree with the 6' rule for larger Tangs. I just don't see it being good having a fish that should get up to a foot long in a tank that is that deep/wide. Just because they might live, doesn't mean it is good for them. There are so many great choices in saltwater, I can always find something else that works and makes me happy.

I personally couldn't imagine keeping a regal tang in a 55 gallon. To me, that seems cruel knowing the size they grow to. I'm not by any means bashing you or anything like that, I just personally couldn't do it. And IF I ever did do it, I especially wouldn't have other fish with it... But to each their own... What works for one might not work for the next...

Thanks for the comment. Far to many people tend to want to be the "Tang Police", when a simple "I just personally couldn't do it. " followed by a "But to each their own... What works for one might not work for the next.." is a much better discussion platform.

As far as I understand it it's more the swimming space than the volume as the problem is they swim long way each day I have heard minimum 6 foot tank

A lot plays into this... Open space, territory, other stock, flow, and fish size.

I think a 75+ is fine for a while(4-5in) but not forever.. Eventually this fish should probably be moved to a 5 or 6 foot tank unless it is like a 180 cube.

11.8 inches is the largest recorded it is most common to be around 9-10inches as full adult from what I've seen

Back
Top Bottom