blue water jugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwandrsn

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found someone selling used blue 6 gallon jugs for $5 each they said they were used for non toxic liquids or something possibly soap or food grade liquids. They are pretty handy looking jugs with a folding handle and you can screw a spout on them.

my question is. How could I clean them to make sure they would be safe for use for my aquarium?

Hi,

Those kind of jugs are usually used to recycle chemicals, at least that's the case where I work. Anyway, if you're sure chemicals have not been used, drop some bleach in there and fill it up with water. Let it sit for a few days and then repeat with just dechlorinator. Lastly, air them out in the sun for a few days. If still unsure, use these buckets for output purposes. In other words, don't let anything that was in it end up in your tank.

I personally prefer white open-topped buckets so I can clearly see what's in it when viewed from the top down.

David

Another option would be the 5 gallon water jugs used on water coolers. You know they're safe and you can see through them.

Yeah just go this route. You can buy these bottles at Walmart and other stores for ~$5 brand new, with drinking water in them so you know they're safe. I had a bunch of these lying around and am actually using them as temporary homes for Bettas while setting up their condos, so I can confirm they're fish safe.

Yeah just go this route. You can buy these bottles at Walmart and other stores for ~$5 brand new, with drinking water in them so you know they're safe. I had a bunch of these lying around and am actually using them as temporary homes for Bettas while setting up their condos, so I can confirm they're fish safe.

Walmart $11.50 for the 5 gallon jugs of water

yes if you have a bottle to return its like 6.50 but if you dont have a return you have to pay 11.50

I've got Walmart holding 8 cases of distilled water for me its 0.88 a gallon and 3 gallons per case

Back
Top Bottom