Bluegill Compatability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nutty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need some advice! I have a 35 gal with a bluegill, goldfish, and a few minnows. I need to find something to take care of some algae. I have looked at algae eaters but they seem too small and would get eaten by the gill. Plecasimus (sp) would get too large for my tank is there anything that I could put in there besides chemicals that wouldnt get eaten nor outgrow the tank? Eventually I will probably move them to a 55 I have, just dont have the filter lid etc for it yet.

ForumRunner_20130917_212457.jpg

did you catch the bluegill? if so i would let it go. 55 gallons isn't even going to cut it. bluegills reach ten inches and there are many stories of them being stunted and living a much shorter life than they deserve. if you are serious about keeping it, look for a 90 gallon or larger ASAP

^ If you caught that gill full grown and put it in that tank that's not going to work out for you. As much as I wish it would because I did the same thing once it's just going to make the fish very unhappy. Getting bluegill at finger lengths are much better because they adapt to tank life and you can watch them grow. But to answer your question mystery snails live with my gills and they seem to get along great.

Also in my opinion treat blue gill the way you would a cichlid.

My daughter put a Bluegill in her 55 gallon tank, and it ate all of her fish. He was obviously to large.

Sent from my HTC first using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yea like I said, treat it like a cichlid. A very large cichlid that is supposed to be in a lake.

Back
Top Bottom