Bmarine's 125 gallon Tank Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys! Well recently i just bought a 125 gallon aquarium setup to make a peacock and hap tank and i thought i'd keep you updated on whats going on with it! Pics will be posted in my album! So i got it from a guy off craigslist, and like i said, it was a full setup and for $300. It came with the tank and stand, a Fluval FX-5 canister, 2 HOB's, a 200 w heater, 50 lbs of Texas Holey Rock, and 2 boxes of misc stuff. Sadly, the guy didnt take good care of his equipment. The two HOB's were extremely dirty and didnt work so i dumped them, and apparently he thought that it was a good idea to put the heater under the gravel, so the heater was caked with gravel and virtually useless, so i dumped that too, and the boxes were full of decorations, so i am just hoping to sell those at some point! So now i have only the tank, stand, filter and rock, but it is still a great deal! Everything is pretty dirty so right now i'm cleaning everything up to get it looking nice again! I'll update again soon!

Check out my pics!

Feel free to give suggestions on anything too! I have to buy some heaters yet, a hob filter, some lights, and lids! Any ideas on good heaters?

I would get 3 or 4 of the medium watt heaters I don't get 1 or 2 big heater because if one breaks your screwed

Oh really? I was thinking just 2 300 watt heaters! I could probably do 3 though! Can anyone recommend a good media setup for the FX-5? I have 3 trays i can fill. Like i said it'll be for the africans.

It is ok to use 2 300 watts just make sure that you check the temp often so you can know if one is broken

Yup definitely! Can you recommend a good heater? I'm thinking either the Cobalt Aquatics ones, Fluval series E, or Hydor Theo heaters. I would really like one that shows me the temperature of the tank (like fluval E heaters). Any other recommendations?

Yup definitely! Can you recommend a good heater? I'm thinking either the Cobalt Aquatics ones, Fluval series E, or Hydor Theo heaters. I would really like one that shows me the temperature of the tank (like fluval E heaters). Any other recommendations?

Eheim Jager are fantastically efficient and reliable.

They were another possible one! And they seem pretty cheap! Do they have the temperature on them?

For the media I would do carbon ceramic rings and either puriegin spelling? Helps clear the water

I'm so far thinking Fluval ZeoCarb for one of the top baskets, and most likely Biomax for the bottom basket. Sound good so far? I have polishing pads for it already so that'll go in somewhere. Any good idea for a top or middle basket? And Mike, thanks! I just posted some more pics with it a little cleaner!

Yay bmarine! Will be following this one!

I have Aqueon filters, they are very good! I would get 2 300 watt ones

Yay bmarine! Will be following this one!

I have Aqueon filters, they are very good! I would get 2 300 watt ones

Thats one of the filters i'm looking at! And yeah i think i will, its cheaper, and i think it'll work fine!

Anyway, heres my tentative stock list.
1 red empress
5 copadichromis trewavasae
5 otopharynx lithobates
5 stuartgranti usisya

I like it, but the thing is, i have 5 lemon jakes right now and i would kinda like to find a way to get those in there, with some peacocks and haps. Any ideas? I'm willing to completely change the stock list as long as it has good color too!

I think the red empress would look so cool! But wouldn't that be too aggressive for the lemons and peacocks?

Yea true, I think it'll be finely change the sticking list, doesn't sound overstocked to me!

Yup! Hopefully someone can help change that! Also, i want to know if i can have more stock in there because i have the Fx-5 now, and will be getting another hob filter? Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Naw, i just couldnt get rid of it when it gets huge. All my algae eaters, if any, will be and stay small lol.

Back
Top Bottom