bnp over 2 inch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishkeeper90

Aquarium Advice Freak
so ive just measured this one to be slightly over 2 inch ive been trying to work out if it male or female ive also taken a pic of its belly as i not sure if it a gravid female or a male that still got food in its belly from last night ...thoughts? 20180107_155301.jpg20180107_155547.jpg

Bn's can get 6", to sex a BN is all in the whiskers as females don't have them if they do they are very small and only around the edge of their mouth where as males bristles grow up the snout
Edit looking at the pic closer im not entirely sure that is a male as there's no bristles on the top of the snout
https://youtu.be/iW5SsC5D5SU

Bn's can get 6", to sex a BN is all in the whiskers as females don't have them if they do they are very small and only around the edge of their mouth where as males bristles grow up the snout
Edit looking at the pic closer im not entirely sure that is a male as there's no bristles on the top of the snout
https://youtu.be/iW5SsC5D5SU
thats my point exactly ! i thought it was a male but its not changed in the 2 weeks we owned them and its grown about half inch roughly in that time

thats my point exactly ! i thought it was a male but its not changed in the 2 weeks we owned them and its grown about half inch roughly in that time
and the other one we got at same time is a male 100% as he with babies and was bigger then this one and his bristles have got more and bigger

Time will tell. Fish keeping is not for the anxious... lol I wouldn't really expect that much change in 2 weeks. I'm far from a bn expert, but when I first saw the pics on the other thread you made on this, I thought it was a female. But I also thought it was bigger than 2". Once you said it was only 2" I figured like others that it was probably a male, because I didn't figure a female that small would have bristles. So... with that said, unless somebody is a real bn expert... time will tell. lol

Time will tell. Fish keeping is not for the anxious... lol I wouldn't really expect that much change in 2 weeks. I'm far from a bn expert, but when I first saw the pics on the other thread you made on this, I thought it was a female. But I also thought it was bigger than 2". Once you said it was only 2" I figured like others that it was probably a male, because I didn't figure a female that small would have bristles. So... with that said, unless somebody is a real bn expert... time will tell. lol
yeah i know that thats why i am just waiting ..ill deffo no soon enough ..wether i end up with eggs if its a female or a male with bristels whatever comes first ...its still a hard one atm lol

Bristle Nose was my nightmare when I was a little. I had a tank (same one right now) before I moved overseas and there were 4 fancy goldfishes. We had an algae problem so my dad bought a bristle nose. Within few months, it grew really big in no time and killed 2 goldfishes by sucking its eyes and its body fluids (He killed my favourite goldies). One night he jumped out of the tank, me and my brother freaked out and called my dad to come down. My dad don't even know that they can grow this big and put the BN back. I also had guppies 1 is pregnant form the store and I saw the BN terorizing the babies, me and my older brother saved the babies and put it in a bucket, with confusion on what to feed them, we mashed food pellets into powders and feed them with the powders (going to cut to the ending of my BN). It was at night, I was about to sleep and was staring at my aquarium, I saw the BN was looking pale and not moving. I was like " Huh? What's wrong with the BN?" I took a closer look. BOTH OF ITS EYES WERE WHITE. I jumped back and begged my dad to remove it because it looked like some sort of a zombie fish. From that day, I know that I can't trust BN anymore...

That's my backstory about me and my BN ?

Bn's don't get super big as where commons do, commons are also known to suck onto bigger fish for the slime coat, I've had my bn for about 3 years and he's still only about 2"-2.5"

When do they get the bristles? I am forever being cursed with females. I really wanted one with the bristly nose!!!
It takes a few, mine got his fast he started getting big big ones around 1-1.5"
Best was to tell when they are young is to lightly push on the snout of the nose if it's hard it's a female if it's soft it's a male.

Bn's don't get super big as where commons do, commons are also known to suck onto bigger fish for the slime coat, I've had my bn for about 3 years and he's still only about 2"-2.5"
Funny.. mines 2 years and it almost 7"??

I really haven't either, I I thought they maxed out at 5 in. He's in my 75 gallon he spends most of the time in his cave. But when he does come out he startles me cuz he's like a dragon, I'll try and get a picture of him tonight

I really haven't either, I I thought they maxed out at 5 in. He's in my 75 gallon he spends most of the time in his cave. But when he does come out he startles me cuz he's like a dragon, I'll try and get a picture of him tonight
I wish I could get a pic of mine he's camera shy lol, he's about 2-2.5 years old and only 2.5-3 inches, alot of people don't like them I absolutely adore... Hims so purty he's a calico and his names Mr. Whiskers lol

I wish I could get a pic of mine he's camera shy lol, he's about 2-2.5 years old and only 2.5-3 inches, alot of people don't like them I absolutely adore... Hims so purty he's a calico and his names Mr. Whiskers lol
May not be a bn?? You should get a pick. Some of the choicer varieties stay smaller.

That's an ispy photo hah
Just saying... got a rio negro that grew bristles, stayed smaller and rocked the calico pattern.

Back
Top Bottom