boesemani rainbows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nshepler

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm redoing a tank for rainbows, I'll be buying the fish in a few days. I know at the pet store they aren't going to be very colorful. So what should I look for so I make sure I get fish with good genetics?

Sent from in front of my 100

If you have males with females, they will display nice coloration.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's really hard to tell how colorful a fish is going to get by just looking at it when it's at the store. However, sometimes you can still see quite a bit of color when they are dulled out. I try to look for the ones that are colorful even when dull because, for me at least, they tend to color up the most when I get them home.

I plan on keeping a 1-1 male to female. Yea I went to the lfs last week and they had a few but they had almost no color.b

I went back to my local petsmart today and ranted about how all of there rainbows have terrible genetics lol

I plan on keeping a 1-1 male to female. Yea I went to the lfs last week and they had a few but they had almost no color.b

I went back to my local petsmart today and ranted about how all of there rainbows have terrible genetics lol

There probably all femails and everyone wants the pretty colored ones but then they get aggressive, don't do well or don't stay colorful.

I am wondering how you sex these at the pet store and what they best M to F ratio is?

I don't think you can bass their genetics on color alone ha

I wasn't basing the genetics on color, the fish have like deformations. And they actually didn't have a single female.

I wasn't basing the genetics on color, the fish have like deformations. And they actually didn't have a single female.

oh jeeze that is bad, I usually have only scene that stuff on glow fish. I'd go to a really FLS not a chain like petsmart or petco

and that is why they are not colorful, no females=no reason to show off.

Back
Top Bottom