Boiling driftwoods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
How long should I boil small pieces of driftwood? I don't want to boil it too long. Some pieces might break off. Thanks in advance. :)

Until it stops smelling and turning the water brown. FYI if it is new it might smell REALLY bad as you boil it...

fort384 said:
Until it stops smelling and turning the water brown. FYI if it is new it might smell REALLY bad as you boil it...

Do you replace the water when it turns really brown then reboil it? And do you only add the driftwood when the water is already boiling?

Yeah replace the water a few times. It doesn't matter when you add it to the pot.

(I took your advice, I bought a phosphate test kit. I'll test it when I get home tomorrow.)

Cool. Like i said it isn't a requirement for a planted tank but it is a good thing to test occasionally.

fort384 said:
Cool. Like i said it isn't a requirement for a planted tank but it is a good thing to test occasionally.

You said that high phosphate could result in algae bloom. I don't want that to happen. It's better to know the levels than guessing. Thanks again! :)

Don't forget to keep an eye on it. As simple as it sounds, there are stories of people who will boil it, watch TV, and completely forget about it. That's when the water evaporates and chars the wood (and it doesn't smell that good).

Back
Top Bottom