Bolivian 1st time parents!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ugh you're so lucky DX mine won't get down to business :mad:

Yeah I did a water change without warming it up not supposed to do that I know but I was in a hurry going out of town and I just couldn't make the time to warm it, poured in the water come back and eggs are being laid I hear they really like soft water so I did a 30% distilled water water change about a week ago and a 50/50 distilled/ro water change Saturday looks like it did the trick they've been a pair about 4 weeks now and just a lot of chasing till the distilled was added you should try it :)

Ah I should do that, my nitrates & water hardness is really high & the temperature is about 22°C so I'll soften the water a bit & lower the temp, but I don't want to kill my other delicate fish DX

Looks like I have a new pair ready to spawn and the first time parents are about to spawn again!!!
Older pair that spawned two weeks agoImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399332041.944997.jpg
FemaleImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399332063.745977.jpg
Male

New smaller pair
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399332091.515986.jpg
Front male back female

Wow! That's awsome! It's really cool to have fish spawn in your aquarium! I don't know how to sex these guys but I know on blue rams often females have their blue sheen extend over their black colored section.

My first pair I was clueless but the rumors are some what true as a juvenile there was almost no difference but the extended rays then I saw the females eye bar was growing much darker the male much bigger and the third spike from the eye was the tallest the female were about the same height also the male had much pointier fins all around my female mostly rounded fins the as an adult the male had the triangle and female had the square for the reproductive parts

The way I did it was just bought 7 put them in a 40 breeder then as they paired up brought them in to the 55 and 3 days later I started seeing the males head shaking and the female get really really yellow then one day after work I see both egg skating over a rock

Female guarding eggsImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399419898.315777.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399419935.934782.jpg
Younger pair left their eggs unattended ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399420012.970425.jpg hopefully they'll be more attentive next time for now I'm gonna put their eggs in the 5.5 gallon hatchery/nursery tank that I have the first parents fry in (I moved them cause they were being eaten after hatching) there is only about 15 left of the first batch before I caught them eating them

My golden rams have breed what's the best thing to do, let them get on with it or to separate them from the eggs incase they decide to get hungry, the dad seems to be guarding them ok ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400283500.653217.jpg

If you can I would move the parents and the eggs to their own already cycled tank. Let the parents care for the fry until they reach a certain size. Remove the parents (put them back in their old tank). Let the fry grow out in the tank. Then I would sell most and keep a few. I would buy instant baby brine shrimp for feeding the fry.

Thanks. I'm getting a 400liter tank trod at so might move all the other fish and use that smaller as a fry tank. Just aswel because they placed there eggs on gravel and didn't fancy trying to move them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom