Bolivian ram in this hardness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RachelG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an API gh/kh test kit, and Hopefully I have been reading the tests right. this is my measurement for my tank water:

GH: 14 drops until it turned green, so 14 GH or 250 ppm
KH: 7 drops until it turned slightly yellow, 8 drops definite yellow, so 7-8 KH or 125-143 ppm
PH is 7.8

So this would mean my water falls into the "Fairly hard/moderately hard" range, right? Is DH another way to say GH, or is it something completely different?

This is a new 20 gallon long tank that I want to put one bolivian ram in if I can. Would this water be acceptable for one? Has anyone kept them successfully in water like this? I'm not interested in breeding, just keeping, so I don't want a pair. I see DH/GH/KH requirements on different sites of 1-15, 1-10, 1-12 for B.rams. One site listed the requirement as "Neutral", whatever that means.
Buying an RO unit is not an option on my budget, and getting RO water home from the store is a pain in the butt as I do not own a car.

I'd like to move my two platies and ghost shrimp into the tank when it is ready, as well. The ten gallon they are currently in will become a hospital/quarantine tank. I'll probably get one more platy or two, but that may be it. The tank has lots of java fern, anubias, hornwort and java moss.

I don't have a hard water test kit like you.. but I do know for a fact my water is really hard, as crust forms on my tanks and on my shower heads and so forth... my ph is naturally 7.8 to 8.0 but with my driftwood it drops to around 7.2... I had a ram in my 55g while it was cycling he did fine in ammonia that reached 4.0 at time and nitrites that got almost as high.. granted I did daily water changes and used prime.. but I tink the rams are pretty darn hardy... so I would say he will be fine

I have an API gh/kh test kit, and Hopefully I have been reading the tests right. this is my measurement for my tank water:

GH: 14 drops until it turned green, so 14 GH or 250 ppm
KH: 7 drops until it turned slightly yellow, 8 drops definite yellow, so 7-8 KH or 125-143 ppm
PH is 7.8

So this would mean my water falls into the "Fairly hard/moderately hard" range, right? Is DH another way to say GH, or is it something completely different?

This is a new 20 gallon long tank that I want to put one bolivian ram in if I can. Would this water be acceptable for one? Has anyone kept them successfully in water like this? I'm not interested in breeding, just keeping, so I don't want a pair. I see DH/GH/KH requirements on different sites of 1-15, 1-10, 1-12 for B.rams. One site listed the requirement as "Neutral", whatever that means.
Buying an RO unit is not an option on my budget, and getting RO water home from the store is a pain in the butt as I do not own a car.

I'd like to move my two platies and ghost shrimp into the tank when it is ready, as well. The ten gallon they are currently in will become a hospital/quarantine tank. I'll probably get one more platy or two, but that may be it. The tank has lots of java fern, anubias, hornwort and java moss.
I've had my Rams in 8.2. They are very hardy fish and fun to watch

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom