Bolivian Ram Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobandBecca

Aquarium Advice Regular
About two weeks ago I purchased a bolivian ram (about 1 1/2"). I like him so much that i wanted another one. Was that wrong? I thought they were peaceful and preferred pairs. The second guy is about 2" and a little darker. I had the first ram for about a week tops.

When i introduced the larger ram he was hiding for a day or two then tried to make his way into the community. My smaller ram does not like this at all and chases him all over the tank every time they are close. I am newer to the hobbie but can't get enough if any can give me any info that would be great. Thanks in advance!

BobandBecca said:
About two weeks ago I purchased a bolivian ram (about 1 1/2"). I like him so much that i wanted another one. Was that wrong? I thought they were peaceful and preferred pairs. The second guy is about 2" and a little darker. I had the first ram for about a week tops.

When i introduced the larger ram he was hiding for a day or two then tried to make his way into the community. My smaller ram does not like this at all and chases him all over the tank every time they are close. I am newer to the hobbie but can't get enough if any can give me any info that would be great. Thanks in advance!

I have 2 Bolivians a m and an f. They do chase each other from time to time. Generally perfectly normal. It's about dominance right now.

Lip locking is a sign of fighting.

Have you sexed them yet?

Post pics for an ID.

JON

This is the 1 1/2" the one doing all the chasing and nipping

Attachments

• DSC00381.jpg
    DSC00381.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 105
I did the exact same thing. For quite a while, the one that was in the tank first chased the new one every time he saw it. But after he established that he was dominant, they get along just fine. Now sometimes even the newer one chases him. Just be sure to make sure he isn't bullying the new one too bad. Each fish is different and if you see things getting to be too rough, then it may be a good idea to re-home one of them. Give it some time to see if things settle down. :)

No idea... I think the only way to tell is by the little bump by their back bottom fin. Try googling sexing rams and see if you can find some info. I still have no idea of the gender of my two. I think they only 100% method is to actually have them breed to see if you have a male and female.

They both look like males to me. You will have some chasing don't worry it's normal. My rams have plenty of tank mates to bump heads with from time to time. They normally just chase each other. Some times they will have a disagreement with my four angels or my four flag cichlids but never bad. They normally leave my swords, tetras , platy and guppys along.

Hey here is some info on sexing rams.
The female fish is smaller than the male and have more pink pigmentation on her ventral region. If you look at the anterior region of the dorsal fin, you can see that her fin rays are less developed. It is also common for females to have a plumper body shape and more rounded edging of the tailfin. The back of the dorsal and anal fins have a more pointy edge in the male ram, and the tail fin is also more sharply edged. The male ram can be recognized on his V-shaped tail fin and the elongated second ray that is present in the dorsal fin.

Here is the rest of the article
German Blue Ram

Today for the first time I seen my two rams lip lock. Should i be concerned or let it go? Thanks again for the help.

As long as its not happening to regularly it should be okay, it should only last for a few seconds at a time - if it's carrying on for longer each fight you may want to separate them. If your tanks a good size both should establish there own territory in time, with the odd chase and fight being normal. My two male Bolivians can be best of buddies some days double teaming my 2 GBR's, other days they hate each other.

Ok cool. They do seem to have there own side of the tank. Today they seem to just meet in the middle and have at it i guess.

That article is unfortunately for the wrong species. Bolivian rams are mikrogeophagus altispinosa while german blue fans are mikrogeophagus ramirezi. The GBRs are much easier to sex. Their coloration is much different and the differences between sexes is much more drastic than in Bolivians. It's usually easier to sex Bolivians when they're older, although they are still very difficult to sex properly.

I wouldn't worry I have had mine for a year from time to time they bully each other.

Back
Top Bottom