Bolivian Ram with German Blue Ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kzoofish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In a 29 gallon planted tank with a few preacox rainbows, 2 ottos, and 4 glowlight tetras can a male bolivian ram and male german blue ram live peacefully?

Based on my experience with both, I think it's far more likely than not. Perhaps someone who has kept them both together will have something else To say about that.

I used to have a bolivian with an electric blue ram. They got along just fine. But that was in a 55g tank. Not sure if the extra space was the reason for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As single specimens I think it is unlikely for them to have any issues.

If you had a pair of GBR's than you could easily have some territory disputes.

In my experience the Bolivians "ram" a lot more than the Germans do. Do you all agree?

T4, do you find the Bolivian looking to spar with the German as they would another Bolivian?

In my experience the Bolivians "ram" a lot more than the Germans do. Do you all agree?

T4, do you find the Bolivian looking to spar with the German as they would another Bolivian?
In my experience, bolivians are drastically more peaceful than GBR's. I would say that bolivians and keyholes are probably the most peaceful cichlids I have kept.

I've had the opposite experience, though I don't really consider sparing to be not peaceful.

Cichlids always keep you on your toes :)

The two that I had would try to claim territory. One time one would win and then later lose. No harm done. Most times they hung out together.

Cool, thanks for all the responses. I'm picking up a Bolivian ram today, and depending on how he does I may pick up a GBR.

I know GBRs are picky and sensitive with water quality, If my ph is higher 7.5ish but constant will I have issues? I use peat in my filter and am religious on water changes (40% once a week).

I'm also considering a apistograma cacatuoides as a second feature fish, but my wife isn't a fan of em.

I know GBRs are picky and sensitive with water quality, If my ph is higher 7.5ish but constant will I have issues? I use peat in my filter and am religious on water changes (40% once a week).
Most GBR's have been tank raised for many, many generations and so a slightly alkaline pH should not be an issue.

The key is try to find good stock. So many GBR's have been hormoned up or just poorly bred. Personally, I would only buy one from a known breeder in your situation. If you don't have access to a breeder watch out for fish that are very colorful or have huge fin extensions at a small size.

Yeah I've found the same - store bought ones died. When I bought from a breeder on a forum, they did fine.

Temperature is another consideration. Many will say that they need hot water - over 80. From what I have seen from others, that is only partially true. The young need that hot water but not grown fish.

Yeah I've found the same - store bought ones died. When I bought from a breeder on a forum, they did fine.

Temperature is another consideration. Many will say that they need hot water - over 80. From what I have seen from others, that is only partially true. The young need that hot water but not grown fish.

Temps in the 80s are preferred by wild rams all around, but tank raised fish are forgiving in that area. The higher temps for young in combination with 5+ feedings a day to grow them out faster, it's not a requirement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was just sharing what was told to me by someone who breeds them - higher survival rates with higher temp. I have no idea of this holds true for others, and I never cared to raise my fry.

Temp is not near as important as diet and water quality if you keep a good maintenance and feeding schedule normal temps normal temps do just fine.

So I went to the store to buy one Bolivian ram.

I left with two beautiful paired electric blue Rams.

Can you blame me?

Oh absolutely I'm pretty OCD about them.

That's good to hear, I haven't kept electric blues myself but I haven't heard too many good things about them. It sounds to me like they are even more sensitive than the other tank strains of rams.

Don't beat yourself up if they dont make it to far. Extremely tricky fish to keep happy..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Challenge accepted!

Back
Top Bottom