Bolivian Rams/Aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
I noticed my Bolivian Rams are showing some aggression towards my Rosy Barbs and a little toward each other, what could that be?

Are they new? It's not uncommon if in a new tank. Also what tank are they in? Bolivians don't always cozy up to newly introduced opposite sex potential partners. Don't know why but they just seem pickier than GBR's in that respect. My last pair of Bolivians took about 4 or more months before they got comfortable with each other.

No, they aren't new. They been together about 3 months now. One I know for sure is male, and the other 2, I really believe they are females but not sure. The one that is showing the aggression seems to be a female (big tube thing hang where eggs come out, no extensions in tail or fins, 2 black dots on side, etc....)...Are females the aggressor when its close to mating? Oh she is about 2.5-3 inches and my male is about 3 or a tiny bit bigger

1 male to 2 females is breeding nightmare...hope the barbs are bigger than the rams... Have you tried to separate?

Aggression, biting, chasing, tail slapping all perfectly normal with Bolivian's. My pair go from being totally besotted with each other to hating each other a few times a day. The odd female with probably have to be removed, she will get a lot of aggression from the pair and will delay them breeding.

1 male to 2 females is breeding nightmare...hope the barbs are bigger than the rams... Have you tried to separate?

Yes the barbs are bigger, no I haven't because its been off and on and not enough to warrant separation, yet...

Aggression, biting, chasing, tail slapping all perfectly normal with Bolivian's. My pair go from being totally besotted with each other to hating each other a few times a day. The odd female with probably have to be removed, she will get a lot of aggression from the pair and will delay them breeding.

I think that's what they are doing, bickering and playing because today is like nothing ever happened and all is well. The third one, which ever sex it is, is going to be moved once a pair has been established.

Aggression can be from male or female, both have a nasty streak at times, though I've never actually seen any injuries.

Back
Top Bottom