Bolivian rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Copachick

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my local fish store is closing at the end of this week. Its such a shame! We have grown to love it there and have never had any issues with any of their fish or products...

On another note, everything in the store is 50% off and for a long time I have been toying with the idea of getting rams. Now I dont know if these are Bolivian or germane blue rams. I think Bolivian. they are all small. And I think some of the tanks have pairs in them. I believe the females are a lighter color? Now Im just debating on which tank to put them in if I do get them. I have a 75 gallon with a couple Balas, Platies, bleeding hearts, rasboras and danios. Or the 36 gallon with platies, neons, cardinals, and two headlight tail light tetras. and a baby platy.
Any thoughts on which tank would be best? I know water conditions for them are key! We do water changes every weekend. We havent had problems in a very long time

Do they look like this, this is one of my Bolivian Rams. Mine live in a 60 gallon with a juvi geophagus for now. Also with two leopard ctenopoma, 1 angel and 1 hold nugget. I have 0 problems. However, I would consider the 36 gallon a better setup because I know my rams appreciate as little aggression from other species as possible. The bala sharks, ect. may be two much movement and aggression for them. Bolivians get a maximum of about 3 inchs and really appreciate a planted tank of some sort a well. Also remember they do better with soft water, however, the big box stores have been breeding in slightly harder waters to adjust them to the aquarium life.

Bolvians are accepted to be hardier and easier to care for than German Blue Rams. Bolvians are also harder to sex than German Blue Rams. I would put them in the 75 if it weren't for the balas, because I'm not sure how they will do with them. They may do fine, maybe someone with some experience can comment on that. Two Bolivians could do fine in a 36 though. Keep in mind I am just basing this off of what I've read because I am looking into getting some myself.

Then the ones at this store must be the german blue rams. However my other LFS store that we go to has those Bolivian rams and I love them as well! Ive been so torn. I figured I would put them in my 36. they seem like they would fit better in there, even though my Balas surprisingly are as peaceful and sweet as can be. but theres alot more movement in that tank. The 36 has a lower Ph and maybe your right about that tank being a better fit. All my tanks have live plants in it. And the 36, those plants seem to do the best for some reason. So maybe I wll look into getting the bolivian rams instead. They are pretty

Copachick said:
Then the ones at this store must be the german blue rams. However my other LFS store that we go to has those Bolivian rams and I love them as well! Ive been so torn. I figured I would put them in my 36. they seem like they would fit better in there, even though my Balas surprisingly are as peaceful and sweet as can be. but theres alot more movement in that tank. The 36 has a lower Ph and maybe your right about that tank being a better fit. All my tanks have live plants in it. And the 36, those plants seem to do the best for some reason. So maybe I wll look into getting the bolivian rams instead. They are pretty

Unless you extreme into the hobby, I think your making the right decision with the Bolivians. The GBR are pretty fragile.

GBR's get a bad rep. imo. If your purchasing from sound,healthy stock they're pretty hardy.
Well cycled, steady ph and low nitrates is the key after thats achieved it's a downhill battle.

Yea we've never had that many problems with our tanks. We did have an ich out break once which killed us :-( lost our favorite fish. Any special needs the rams need besides the best water conditions and calm atmosphere? I know they like caves, and hiding places too right

My Bolivians enjoy sitting on my giant sword plant. That much I know. I'm picture happy, but they love this thing!

Back
Top Bottom