Bolivian Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am set on the prospect of keeping Bolivain Rams.
I would like to keep a m/f pair in my 20gal long but I inderstand that they are hard to sex when young? Also they don't tend to pair off at a young age either do they? So are they aggressive at this age and become more docile with age?

The tank is a 20gal long btw.

TIA

Not a problem Satsumas. I love the little guys and there are a couple of Bolivian keepers who will definitely answer any specific questions you may have. :)

Good luck. Pics are required.

If they are like GBR's they will become sexually mature at about 4 months. They will start to pair off then as well. If you post pics of them I will try to help you sex them. Once you get them that is. Otherwise look shorter pelvic fins that do not extend past the anal fin on females. Males will have longer pelvic fins that extend past the anal fin. Males will be larger and may have a little more yellow coloring. Also, males will have two longer extensions on their tail fin (top and bottom of it) that extend past the main part of the fin.

Actually, they aren't quite like GBR's. Mine paired off at about a year old. They were about 2.5" when they first spawned.

I currently have 5 babies, they are about 4 months old. And starting to get their coloration as well. But still not quite an inch in size. Still can't tell if they are male or female yet.

At an early age, Bolivians are very playful, and get along great together. Mine are a blast to watch. And they go crazy for shrimp pellets.

As for aggression, about the only aggression is bluffing. Out of all 8 of my Bolivians, I have never seen any nipping, or attacking or injuring. They charge the other fish, but stop on a dime right next to the fish, usually spooking them. And this was during spawning. And when a fish doesn't get spooked, my male opened his mouth up against the other fish and pushed it away til it decided to go elsewhere. It never really attacked.

So if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I've had Bolivians now for almost 2 years. And they are much more hardy too.

Thanks for the help, they sound like great fish to keep!

They do sound similair to GBR's in the way that they aren't aggressive, saying that my brother's m/f pair ganged up on the raibow shark and chased it away! they were spawning though.

I'll do my best to sex them in the store, but it all depends on how big they are i suppose.

Mine never paired off. I had one male and three females and he did the harem thing.

I ended up with 160 juvi's, I have about 100 left after auctions and selling to LFs's. Still trying to move some. The juvi's starting spawning at 5 months. I just had 7 pairs spawn in my 300 gallon at the same time. Two groups got fry to free swimming. Then I went out for an overnight, didn't feed for a day and when I got back the fry were gone. It's okay, I really don't need more Bolivians right now.

When the Rams are small the only way I can sex them is by their Vent. You can see the females Vent, not the males. At 8 - 9 months the males start getting the fin extentions which the females don't

Back
Top Bottom