Boring colours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah1953

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Could someone please shed some light ( no pun intended) on why the tank below was vibrant with lovely coloured green background before I filled it up? The background was a beautiful lush green. If you look at the sides/edges of the background you can just see how lovely and green the colour is.....I had intended to take this off and put a dark/black background like in the aquatic shops as the tanks there always look so crystal clear and blue, but what's the point when it would be even gloomier than it is at the moment. The lighting tubes are Boyu and even with both on the background and the whole tank really still looks insipid. My much smaller tank had a vibrant blue background and this always looked lovely and bright. So what's happening here I don't have a clue............:confused:

Save

Attachments

• IMG_1850.jpg
    IMG_1850.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited by a moderator:
your back ground probably has a air pocket and not on glass ,
when I used to use that type of background I always sprayed the glass with water first than squeegeed it on than I would tape up the corners to hold it in place
hope that helps

Is it possible that the dyes used for the green color have faded over time?
One of my tanks has a painted background (black) and the other has a black plastic trash bag taped to it.

I love the blue graduated background which is available, the blue really brightens and accents the green plants, substrate and fish!
Thank you, but how can I view it as your upload doesn't enlarge?.......(or did you just mention that colour background in passing?:)

One of my tanks has a painted background (black) and the other has a black plastic trash bag taped to it.

Hi, no the colour is the same all over - (you can see the little bit at the sides of the background paper are vivid green) It MIGHT be an air pocket but when I press on the paper and look again the colour is still as drab.The thing is, if it's drab now, how on earth is an even darker background, say black, going to make this lovely big tank more interesting? Even the fish look depressed :(

Thanks for that but did the black trash bag not let light in in places? The thing is, now the tank is set up, there's no way it can be moved. I can just get my hand round the back to tear off the paper. If I roller paint the back black do you honestly think it will brighten up the tank?? I don't have anyone to help me immediately so I will have to wait for a bit for help.

If you don't like it then I suggest you drain the tank enough to move it out from the wall and remove the backing. My tank has a graduate blue background river bottom scene taped to the back. I did not adhere it but it is taped pretty tight.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1477744480.383529.jpg

I have also painted the back a few times with acrylic paint. It removes pretty easy with alcohol.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Darkened backgrounds doing nothing for brightening the tank; they provide contrast for items IN the tank.
For the tank I painted, I had to empty it and it took a few coats of inexpensive acrylic paint. I doubt I would have been able to do it with very little room in the back.
Here's my tank with the trash bag taped to the back:
G34BLoGh.jpg
I think the black plastic allows for some reflection and there is a coating of algae in it so it's not jet black. But it serves its purpose.

Darkened backgrounds doing nothing for brightening the tank; they provide contrast for items IN the tank.
For the tank I painted, I had to empty it and it took a few coats of inexpensive acrylic paint. I doubt I would have been able to do it with very little room in the back.
Here's my tank with the trash bag taped to the back:
G34BLoGh.jpg
I think the black plastic allows for some reflection and there is a coating of algae in it so it's not jet black. But it serves its purpose.
Is that inside or outside? It looks great!

It wasn't a pic just the dicussion. My tank now is a permanent black background so no option as it came from the factory that way.

Another nice option is frosted window tint film for glass windows.

Dull tank

I recently purchased a second hand Boyu 197L tank and it's now set up and running against a wall with fish in it. But the background paper has "pooled" and consequently what was a background vivid green is now a sort of background dull grey! It's a lovely massive tank with no atmosphere. I don't want to drain it as there's no one to help move it away from the wall. Is there any lighting I can actually put in the tank to brighten it up? I have 2 Boyu t8 flourescent tubes in the lid and a blue led "bar" along the back. The whole tank lacks vibrancy though.
Thanks if you have any ideas

Attachments

• IMG_1843.jpg
    IMG_1843.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1847.jpg
    IMG_1847.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 72
A lighter back ground would help, that's the "cheapest" option. Over here across the pond led lighting is very cheap. I find the blue a bit dull too, hence I have one white, one blue, and one multi coloured on three separate switches.

A lighter back ground would help, that's the "cheapest" option. Over here across the pond led lighting is very cheap. I find the blue a bit dull too, hence I have one white, one blue, and one multi coloured on three separate switches.

Thanks for that. Do you think my two T8 20W tubes are enough or would you opt for a brighter white?

I think I would look at getting a different stand or if that is an acrylic tank , at least put a thick piece of plywood and foamboard bigger than the footprint of the tank under it .

I think I would look at getting a different stand or if that is an acrylic tank , at least put a thick piece of plywood and foamboard bigger than the footprint of the tank under it .
How is that going to brighten up the inside of the tank??

It won't , but it might keep 197Ls of water off your floor .

It won't , but it might keep 197Ls of water off your floor .

I can just about lift the original cabinet but it took three people to lift the solid
one the tank is currently standing on. Looks can be deceiving. As for "overhang" it's just the way the photo has been taken. Anyone slamming into that big daddy would be KOd!!

I think the blue LED is giving a cool/dim effect. Either turn it off (if possible) and/or swap the T-8 tubes for ones with a warmer tone (yellow, orange).

Back
Top Bottom