Bottom Dwellers in 10g Betta Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mt1608

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I currently have a 10 gallon set up (standard 10 gallon tank, tetra whisper filter, preset heater at 78 Fahrenheit, gravel substrate, some artificial plants, small Malaysian driftwood, and a live Cabomba plant and a moss ball) with a male dumbo betta. He isn't overly aggressive (doesn't flare at fingers like I know some bettas do) but isn't entirely docile either. I've showed him videos of other fish as a sort of experiment and he watches from a sideways position and sometimes flares his fins but shows considerably more aggression when shown images of other male bettas, understandably.

I'd like to get some sort of bottom-feeder for the tank to help in the maintenance and add another level of interest into the tank. A fair amount of food goes wasted as the moment it hits the gravel, the betta loses interest in it (I feed floating pellets but sometimes they sink and he chases them as if hunting). I don't have a preference as far as fish/invert goes. I'd consider snails but I have had problems with them breeding rapidly in the past and also fear they might escape as I don't have a lid on the tank. I can't get a species that relies on algae as a food source (such as otocinclus) as the tank is new and has not had any growth yet. A species with a shorter lifespan (around three years or less) would be perfect for me but this is not a necessity, just a helpful factor when it comes to the final decision.

Is there a species you would recommend?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

You may want to get a lid, bettas are know to jump.

Nerite snails won't breed in freshwater, you may see eggs but they will not hatch. Your betta may even eat the eggs for extra protein.

Pygmy corydoras, they don't get any bigger than an inch and live for about 1-3 years. They stay near the bottom and on decorations/plants.

You may want to get a lid, bettas are know to jump.

Nerite snails won't breed in freshwater, you may see eggs but they will not hatch. Your betta may even eat the eggs for extra protein.

Pygmy corydoras, they don't get any bigger than an inch and live for about 1-3 years. They stay near the bottom and on decorations/plants.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I am looking at lids but for now I have the water level lowered by an inch or so.

How many snails/corydoras could I keep in the tank? I’ve seen some conflicting information out there on this sort of topic.

Pygmy corys like to be in groups so at least 3-5 if you choose them. Snails don't care so again probably 3-5. Just keep up on your water changes to keep up with the extra bio load

I’d do at least 5 Pygmy cory if you choose them. I got an unhealthy group from a local big box store and unfortunately lost most of them over time. They’re very playful and outgoing until school size drops lower than 5-6 then they get nervous and hide a ton.

Back
Top Bottom