Bottom feeders for 20 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oscarbuffalo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon tank with 2 German rams and 6 Furcata rainbows. I am wondering what are possible bottom feeders. I am especially interested in Plecos.I hear the smallest pleco was the pitbull pleco but, I cannot find them because of new laws in Brazil. I was wondering about clown plecos and Rubbernose plecos. Also how are Whip tail catfish at cleaning algae?

I wouldn't get a Pleco. They have high bioloads and would really limit the rest of your stocking. You could go with smaller cory cat spices like panda, skunk, and Pygmy or kuhli loaches.

Kuli loaches will eat almost anything they will eat the left over food. The will eat the food trapped in the small little gaps where other fish can't get to.

I read they do not eat algae though. I need a bottom feeder that eats algae.

No fish is going to completely remove algae. If you are having problems with algae you need to find the root of the problem. Too much light, over feeding, overstocked, not enough water changes ect ect.

If it is a 20 long, I would suggest kuhli loaches, awesome little critters!
The only thing that truly eats algae is a nerite snail

Loaches and cories eat all of the stuff that get to the bottom of the tank. That helps a lot with keeping up the water quality.

I agree with oto's. They won't kick your algae completely but they'll help.

I have a gravel substrate would khuli loaches be ok?

Sent from my LG-D803 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree with oto's. They won't kick your algae completely but they'll help.

I like the idea of otos (if your tank is well established) and snails. If you have lots of algae, Nerites would be best, but they starve if there isn't much algae. Mystery snails from your LFS or big chain eat detritus (like leftover food) and algae, so I keep them in all of my tanks. They're fun to watch, too, and they don't seem to breed in freshwater.

Back
Top Bottom