Bought a desktop 1 Gallon ... What should I put in it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jibboo

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey guys ... i found a 1 gallon AquaView tank at a flea market for $2 ... so I bought it. I set it up with water last nite:

1 Gal tank
1 small air pump w/ air stone
1 fake plant
gravel

So, couple questions here ... it doesn't have a light or filter that came with it. Any thoughts on that?

And lastly ... what kind of fish can add to this w/out any permanent light source, filter or heater ... I don't want a goldfish.

I'm thinking a beta is the logical choice ... of course other than a goldfish, that is the only "coldwater" fish I can think of.

Oh yeah ... since its been so long since I've cycled a tank, any recommendations on how long for one this small? I threw one of my rocks and a java fern from my 55g tank into it.

one gallons are tricky to cycle... I would put in a lovely male guppy or a small betta ... relize bettas are not coldwater fish and due best with a filter... You could put in a few pretty shrimp ( I would do this ..)

when I say coldwater, I'm implying that I'm not heating the water ... so it would have to be able to survive in my house which typical temps are 73-75deg in the summer and around 68-70 in the winter.

I guess I assumed that betas didn't require tropical water (as the water in my 55g is typically 78) since I always see them in little cups in the stores and in friend's decorations and what not.

you could put a rubber duckie in it. That would do well with small space, no heat, and no light.

Many fish are not going to do well in one gallon with no filter or heater. A betta will not do especially well in this type of setup. They need a cycled tank and a heater just like any other tropical fish. A betta kept in an unheated bowl will often become stressed and sick. Many of the sick betta questions that I help answer are due to the betta being in this type of environment (unheated, unfiltered bowl).

when I say no light ... I mean there is no light that goes with the tank ... of course the tank isn't sitting in an unlit closet ... its in my office on my desk ... just sitting here for now.

Do they make filters or heaters or lights for such small tanks?

I am in the process of contacting hawkeye aquariums about a light hood (I see they have different model that has one)

http://www.hawkeyeaquarium.com/setup.html

you can see my 1 gallon tank and how its set up ... they claim their airstone setup is a filter ... although I would call it more of a water agitator rather than a filter, since nothing is really filtered that I can see.

I would really suggest buying something bigger. But that aside, if you can get a heater for the tank maybe the betta. But it will just stare at you all day with sad eyes, lol. I use to have my betta in a smaller tank, and it wasn't very active or happy at all. So I felt bad for it and I put it in my 10 gallon and now it is bigger, more colorful, and way more active and swims all over the place. I wish stores would stop selling them in those cups. If people could see the differences in behavior of a betta in a tiny bowl vs a betta in a real tank they would never buy the little bowls again.

Not to be harsh or mean but I still think the rubber duckie is your best bet. And I definitely wouldn't spend money on adding parts to that little tank. I wouldn't recommend any tank under 10 gallons really for anything. But if you really want something small for a desktop at least go for 5 gallons, with a light. Then you could put a couple of whiteclouds in there. Or you could heat it as well and have a betta or an african dwarf frog or something.

i've had a betta in my tank with loaches & rainbows ... but they never lasted more than a month or 2. I just assumed that they couldn't deal with the other fish or something.

You are VERY limited on what you can put in the tank. And I realize that you are wanting to use what you have, and not go out and buy something else. What I would suggest is maybe some shrimp or snails. Or, have both. You could put a small sponge filter in the tank or an internal filter. They make them pretty small. OR, if you can (and you will never hear me utter these words unless it's in a teeny tiny tank like a 1 gal), get an ugf. I know they have them for tanks that small, but it may take some time to find one.

But for stocking, I would suggest snails or shrimp. There really aren't any fish that would thrive in the tank. A Betta certainly wouldn't. I have one in a 5 gal tank and wouldn't dream of putting him in anything smaller than that.

bzbee said:
Do they make filters or heaters or lights for such small tanks?
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29281;category_id=1721;pcid1=2885;pcid2=
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=32349;category_id=1733;pcid1=3231;pcid2=

No experience with either product, but I've seen them in stores and they are pretty small. They are however relatively expensive compared to a $2 tank:p

Hydro and RedSea produce very high quality products.. Nice :D

I wouldnt put clouds in there evan... cause mine swim like the dickens and I feel bad that they are in the 3-4 four gallon and it has filter and live plants./...NO frog they need a minmum 2.5 gallons per frog...

I had a betta in a one gal, and put it in a 5 gal recently. After I cycled the 5 gal of course. He is twice as active at least and definately more colorful. He definately appreciates his new home. And 5 gal's isn't even that big, but far better than a 1 gal. IMO.

If it were my tank I would get a heater and a light sorce not extreemly bright.. and do a low-tech tank with low light plants and get a killie in there.. JMHO..

Back
Top Bottom