Brackish water algae eaters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canterthefishman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a brackish water tank and it has a little green algae and I wanted to know if there was a brackish water algae eater.

Thanks

I keep malaysian trumpet snails and nerite snails in my BW tank and it's always spotless.

Bristlenoses can be acclimated to live in brackish i think if their tank bred in those kind of conditions, just try find a shop that sells them from in their brackish tanks so the sudden jump to your brackish tank isnt so great,
Also i know theres some shrimp you can buy for brackish, dont know what type though, Hoplo catfish can also be acclimated to brackish but they wont eat algae, just excess food.

Bristlenoses can be acclimated to live in brackish i think if their tank bred in those kind of conditions, just try find a shop that sells them from in their brackish tanks so the sudden jump to your brackish tank isnt so great,
Also i know theres some shrimp you can buy for brackish, dont know what type though, Hoplo catfish can also be acclimated to brackish but they wont eat algae, just excess food.

Just say no to posting nonsense.

BNs are in no way brackish and do not deal with salt well. There are in fact brackish shrimp.

Nerites are a good bet, but they do need to be acclimated.

Amano shrimp can be acclimated to BW and are great algae eaters. Fiddler crabs are also good BW algae eaters but not just any tank can accomodate them as they require air access. Neither of these will get to the tank walls though, like the snails will.

Best bet would be snails. If you add trumpets when the algae is small they might be able to control it. But sometimes you might wanna just get into the tank yourself. I use a toothbrush to scrub algae that has gone out of control. Doesn't scratch glass and works surprisingly awesome.

Back
Top Bottom