Brand new cichlid tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exeori

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am busy cycling my new 40 gallon tank but I can't decide what type of cichlid to add! South American, tanganikan or Malawi! Will you help me with the pros and cons of each please I'm really stuck! Thanks

I am busy cycling my new 40 gallon tank but I can't decide what type of cichlid to add! South American, tanganikan or Malawi! Will you help me with the pros and cons of each please I'm really stuck! Thanks

Hey Exeori, congrats on the new tank! I assume you are fishless cycling?

First off, I would suggest looking up the water requirements of each species you are interested in keeping, and then I would cross check this with your tap water and go from there. Generally, Lake Malawi cichlids prefer harder water, and South Americans don't. Also, I believe Malawi cichlids may be too big for a 40g, depending on species, and how many you plan to keep. I know there are smaller tang species, like shell dwellers that could work in a 40g, but I would wait for someone who has kept shell dwellers to provide more insight.

I actually just started a 75g Lake Malawi/Hap setup, and looking at it now, I will most likely upgrade to a 125 or larger in the near future. But again, this depends on what/how many species you plan to keep.

For now, I would strongly suggest looking up a few species you are considering, and then posting them on here. Maybe list a few options you are considering? Forum members will be able to assist you better if this information is readily available. All I can say is, research, research, research!!

Good luck and I hope this was at least somewhat helpful! :D

I've done research and know the requirements for the different types but I still am having a hard job deciding between them.

I'm being drawn more towards South Americans because I prefer planted tanks although the Malawis seem to have a lot more colour to them. Iv read that South Americans have more "personality" but as you say I'm limited as the largest fish I'd want to put in my aquarium is 6".

Look into the Central Americans, specifically the genera thorichthys (firemouths) and cryptoheros (convict-like). Archocentros has a few cool species as well. They aren't gonna be perfect for a fully planted tank, but will do fine with light planting

Yeah I think that's what I'm going for. A trio of both firemouths and convicts. Any others that you'd recommend?

Not a trio of either of those species, even numbers will be best, and not both species. When they start to breed, it'll be world war 3. Honestly I'd look more into the two genera I listed. There are many cool species in the thorichthys genus that don't get as much attention as Meeki (common fire mouth) and crypto heroes has tons of cool species, and although they are all convict-like, the convict is in a different genus (amatitlania nigrofasciata)

Back
Top Bottom