Brand new tank, high pH level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harleycodr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all
I have had fish tanks before but I am starting a brand new one. It's a 30 gallon and I started it with SafeStart Plus which essentially has the starter bacteria/amonia in it to prepare the tank for fish right away. I followed their instructions, did the water conditioning/dechlorinating first for a few hours, then added the safe start and added fish within 2 hours. I have 5 fish total; 3 mollies and 2 goarmis (sp?). I also put two live plants in the tank as I had very good experience with a planted tank before.

I got some of these indicators that go right in the water and are supposed to suction cup to the walls; but they won't stick but I have them placed in the gravel. One reads the ph level and the other, amonia. My amonia levels look great so far, but my pH is way at the top of the chart at 8.8.

What does this indicate and should I be concerned? Since my tank is basically 24 hours old, am I panicking?

Thanks in advance,
Marian:fish2:

Hi!

Do you have anything else to test the water? I haven't heard anything good about those indicators. A liquid test kit (not strips) is the most accurate. I would be concerned that the cycle has only just begun. Safe start is hit or miss. Mostly miss actually.

Here is the beginners guide.
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

I agree. Safestart rarely works, and liquid test kits are best. What is your substrate? If it has Limestone, Aragonite, or Coral in it then it can raise the ph level.

I am testing with the API master test kit and the substrate is the rinsed regular gravel I got at PetSmart. I'm using ph down drops in effort to drop the PH level and have done two courses over two days and it hasn't made a difference as yet. My amonia levels are at about .30 and the nitrite level only a trace.

The hot weather we are having is making the tank a bit warm too; 82. I have AC but this weather is really making it ineffective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom