Brauney: New Biocube 29 Gallon SW Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What size media bag and when you say shrimp, you mean a dead one from the pet store or live one.

What size media bag and when you say shrimp, you mean a dead one from the pet store or live one.

No lol. You crack me up sometimes. It's all good though. Shrimp cocktail like you would eat. Put it in a small media bag and hang it in the tank.

IMO I wouldn't cycle your tank with fish. I've done fish in cycle with my freshwater but I feelers things can go wrong fast in a 29 gallon bio cube. Of course this my OWN opinion and not knocking anyone's way of doing a cycle.

Me personally.... Keep the fish for when its all cycled. No reason to but the fish through that. From here on in, I'd probably do fish less cycles on my freshwater tanks. It's ALOT of work doing a fish in. Why add more stress? Now your concentrating on your cycle and trying to keep fish alive. Not worth it IMHO. But... People have there ways. I'm not here to judge, I'm here to offer advice based on MY experiences.

Ha ha, I didn't want to assume, I thought that was what you meant, but wanted to be sure. Yes I am not doing fish while I cycle, less stress is good. Thanks again.

It's waiting on approval from the narrator...the video is basicly how to cycle your tank with a shrimp like convict2161 has stated.it explains thoroughly the whole cycling process and when it is safe for fish to be added

It's waiting on approval from the narrator...the video is basicly how to cycle your tank with a shrimp like convict2161 has stated.it explains thoroughly the whole cycling process and when it is safe for fish to be added

Cool! I'd like to see it also.

Problems, I think major problems. I am freaking out here :) Put a cocktail shrimp in a media bag and put in the tank to decay or whatever you wanna call it. I smelled something in the basement and figured the mouse we caught, well it wasn't it was the tank itself. Still trying to cycle the tank or in current stages of cycling, but now went from a clear tank to a cloudy smelly stagnent tank. What is the deal? Also morning tests show high salinity and later in day it is on the low end. What would cause this? Any ideas.

Problems, I think major problems. I am freaking out here :) Put a cocktail shrimp in a media bag and put in the tank to decay or whatever you wanna call it. I smelled something in the basement and figured the mouse we caught, well it wasn't it was the tank itself. Still trying to cycle the tank or in current stages of cycling, but now went from a clear tank to a cloudy smelly stagnent tank. What is the deal? Also morning tests show high salinity and later in day it is on the low end. What would cause this? Any ideas.

Salinity can change but not much. You don't want drastic swings. The cloudiness is normal. It's the decaying shrimp.

Make sure you have enough flow in the tank. Mess around with the power head and find that "sweet spot"

You'll be fine. Nothing you can do about the smell. If you want, you can axe the shrimp and use fish flakes. Throw some in every day. But I'd wait until your test kit comes in so you can monitor your parameters.

Your doing great bro! Keep it up.

The hardest part of the process: patience. Looks like you're on the right track. Congrats! It will all pay off!

So I bought the Koralia 425 power head and now going to install. Do I point at top of water, downward towards middle, or straight out. Let me know what you guys recommend. Thanks

The cloudiness although stated to be normal just reminds me of a tank that is not kept up. When I am cycling I do not do a water change correct?

The cloudiness although stated to be normal just reminds me of a tank that is not kept up. When I am cycling I do not do a water change correct?

Right no water changes. The power head placement is gonna be a plug and play kinda thing. Move it around and see what looks best as far as enough flow. I had mine on the left pointed upwards and towards the middle of the tank (front glass)

Water is back to clear. Ok going to install new Power Head today. When you say Left, Left Back of Tank or Left Side of tank?

HA HA, Dino, yes sir what. Left Side of Tank? Left Side Back of Tank?

Haha I just wanna drive ya crazy. Pay back for tall the text messages ;)

Back of tank. Left side, facing upwards and towards front of tank. Middle of tank. Make sense?

This is probably the worst drawing I've ever done lol. But I'm trying here lol.

image-340420024.jpg

Just for this stupid app for the iPhone just for you. You should be honored cause I almost threw my iPhone out the window lol.

Stock intake up and angle as far right as you can. Now the power head. Up high and pointed upwards to create surface agitation and directed towards the front middle of the tank.

Hope this helps. If not I'm short of coming there and just doing it myself lol.

Back
Top Bottom