Breaded Dragon Terrarium in Ohio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPKeenan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
30 x 12 x 12.5 glass, two lamps, cricket holder (like the small 1g hermit crab cages), some cricket food, a few other assorted odds and ends. I have to wait for the batteries to charge to take picture.

My beardy died a while back. I am torn between getting another one and making room for another fish aquarium.

Make an offer. May take trades depending on what you have to offer.

I am in NE Ohio.

How do Breaded dragons taste? Sorry, I couldn't resist....

Well they taste a bit like gecko but with a bit of Vegemite as an aftertaste.

Seriously though I am trying to clear out some space for another tank. Thinking if I don't have any luck on craigslist or other classified sites I might donate it to a school.

im in texas or id be interested... what caused the last one you had to die? a 20 gallon long should be good for a young-adult beardie but not a full grown one....

I think it had to do with not having a heating pad (basking lamp and a UV lamp I thought would be enough)... plus at the time I was working 12 hour shifts on freaky nights. Light cycles were off, apartment would be warm during the day and chilly at night as it was getting to be fall. :(

they do not require a heating pad.. as long as you have a basking lamp pushing the temp to 105 and a uv lamp.. keeping calcium on your crickets.. you should have a healthy beardie... what kind of substrate did you have? carpet? sand? millitt?

Sometimes they will die because of eating sand, which they cant pass... including cal sand...

If you go again.. look for walnut shell sand.. its basically powdered walnut shells... and make sure you are using reptisafe for the water, and cal dusting your crickets..

keep in mind.. desert temps (i know they are from Australia) but they can range from 40* at night.. all the way to 110 in the day... so i doubt anything like that contributed..

Hey micheal, i am guessing you own a reptile. Because i do. I own a beutiful little female mali uromastyx. I want to get her a nice litttle boyfriend 1 day.

I would take it if i was near you but i am in florida, Thats a little bit of a drive.

I had gravel as a substrate. And some rocks from Lake Erie that I boiled (the rocks are now in my fish tanks). When I got the crickets I got them dusted, but I would usually get enough to last for a week...

She would end up only eating the crickets. She would bask in her food dish with pellets, and would not go need the lettuce I would give her. She was a juvenile, about the size of a 100 pack of cigarettes.

yeah, ex g/f and her parents have some as well.... I should have gone to my fish store to get the baby dragon instead of on of the chain stores too. I know the folks at the fish place know just about everything they carry inside and out.

ok i dun know if im reading it right.

BEARDED, BREADED, or BREEDED

and if it is breaded, WHAT IS IT?!

sorry to tag on, related question.

I've heard that you should not use a tank that a reptile has been in as an aquarium. Is that true or an old wives tale?

Mexican Radio "I wish I was in Tijuana eating bbq'd iguana!" by wall of voodoo.

I think the main reason behind that thinking is the tank leaking. If using chlorine to clean a waterproof tank I think it should be ok. There are very few bad things that can survive a bleach bath... but like always I could be wrong.

The only thing that would stop you from reusing a tank is cleaning.. bacteria can get into the seal and manifest from it.. the only way to use a tank that was house to a reptile is to clean it with a vinegar bath... scrape off all the old silicone and re caulk it... after that it should be good to go... the water will drown any bacteria left in the tank and help you in a fishless cycle if anything =P.. i call wives tale.

90% of the time people say reptile tank ONLY because it wont hold water to begin with.. and will have the basking light and uv light.. sand... bowls exe... just fyi though =/

That's about what I was thinking. My main concern would be leaving an decoration in it from having anything besides fish in the tank. Figure a vinager bath and maybe a wipe down with bleach before hand would be good enough for the glass.

Back
Top Bottom