Breedin Clown Loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you succeed, you can make a fortune writing and selling the how-to book. As far as anyone knows, they don't breed in aquariums. They also grow very slowly, approximately 1 inch/year, up to 12 inches. What size are they sexually mature? What triggers spawning? If anybody knows, they ain't tellin'.

They become sexually mature at over 7". they have been bred once in an aquarium that I am aware of, the reason they bred is unknown and it wasn't planned..

Best of luck.

i heard that some guy had a big 200+ gallon with a bunch of loaches in it and the power went out, so the water got really cold, then he put a heater in there hooked up to a generator and a weeks later had loach babies.

So yea, pretty sure that one's best left to mother nature.

Not really possible in a home aquarium, when loaches spawn, they produce 50,000+ eggs. The eggs are tiny, and absorb water upon release. They then get sucked into filters, or eaten by other fish. The volume of water required is HUGE, not to mention that no one knows what actually triggers spawning. On a practical level, breeding octopus would be much easier than clown loaches. (The female dies after incubating the eggs, and the young eat each other) Some things are better off left to nature.

we live in 2006 my god, we fly to the freakin moon, we create mission to outer space but no one knows what or how to breed a damn fish lol. got to love this balance of a world.

kaz said:
we live in 2006 my god, we fly to the freakin moon, we create mission to outer space but no one knows what or how to breed a darn fish lol. got to love this balance of a world.

The clown loaches haven't forgotten how to do it, they just won't tell us what turns them on.

And I think it is nice that some things are a mystery. . .

Back
Top Bottom