Breeding africans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nzcichlidluva

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1st time breeding Africans (blue zebras, yellows and Aurora's ) how old or big are they before they start breeding? Mine are about 7cm at the moment

Nzcichlidluva said:
.....whoops ok sorry I have just been corrected they are only about 5cm :(

Well it won't be long.If you watch them often you will probably see them mate sooner or later.The male will do his little dance in front of the female.He will shimmy like crazy (looks like he is having a fit).They will circle and circle for a while and when they split the female will have a swollen pouch beneath her mouth (the chin if you will) this will be her eggs safely stashed inside.
Hope this helps :)

garfy said:
Well it won't be long.If you watch them often you will probably see them mate sooner or later.The male will do his little dance in front of the female.He will shimmy like crazy (looks like he is having a fit).They will circle and circle for a while and when they split the female will have a swollen pouch beneath her mouth (the chin if you will) this will be her eggs safely stashed inside.
Hope this helps :)

+1 I've got a lab holding and she's probably no more then 5 cm maybe 6

It looks like I have 3 male blues and 4 females so I'm guessing I will have to get rid of 1 male? Can't tell sex of yellows?? Is there a way? They don't have egg spots. Ps tried to upload photos but kept saying loading..... And nothing was happening

Nzcichlidluva said:
It looks like I have 3 male blues and 4 females so I'm guessing I will have to get rid of 1 male? Can't tell sex of yellows?? Is there a way? They don't have egg spots. Ps tried to upload photos but kept saying loading..... And nothing was happening

You can't use egg spots to sex your fish it's just not a reliable method.In the wild egg spots would work but not in captive bred fish as females have them too.The only surefire way to tell is to vent your fish.
To do this you need to take a look under the fish just before it's anal fin.There will be 2 spots.In the female one spot will be bigger than the other.In the Male they will be the same size.

Ok thanks for that :) I have watched a few clips on YouTube on how to do this.....but mite try and find an expert in my area to show me properly the 1st time :)

Back
Top Bottom