Breeding Blue Rams while Otos are in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicnet

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently set up my 20 gallon tank to breed some blue rams I got. I have since added a solitary lonely Oto (from one of my brothers tanks, who had since lost all his Oto friends) & added 3 guppies from our breeder guppy tank to keep our blue rams from being so shy (& it has definitely helped).

I know Oto's need to be in groups. I think preferably groups of 5. My question is, though, will they affect the success of breeding for my blue rams? Are they likely to eat the eggs or bother them? I have never kept them before, and honestly don't know much except that they like algae wafers and help with algae. So that being said, will they avoid my eggs since they aren't algae? Or still get into them?

I have the space for them, and would definitely love the added activity since I think they are adorable. But I ultimately want this tank for breeding. I can take the one I have out of the tank if that is suggested, or add more if it isn't likely they will affect the breeding outcome.

Also, are the guppies much of an issue? They didn't seem to be when they laid the eggs last weekend but I can move them out too.

Is there anything that would be suggested for stocking that wouldn't affect the success of babies? Otherwise I have only some ghost shrimp (which since the last batch of eggs were laid have been getting picked off) & red ramshorns. The tank has excellent filtration, as it has 2 Aqueon quietflow 10's (each for up to 20 gallons, I think I have like 235% filtration or something) & I think currently I'm at somewhere between 55-65% stocking capacity.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

(p.s. While this is asking about stocking, I put this in the breeding section because my goal is ultimately to have successful babies) ;D

Any time you have other fish in a tank of breeding egglayers, you run the risk of either the other fish eating the breeder's eggs OR the male breeder spending more time protecting the spawn than fertilizing the spawn. Best way to breed these fish is in a tank by themselves. If you are worried about the fish becoming too skittish, place the tank for the rams in a quiet area and keep the lights dim. That's how I bred these commercially.

Hope this helps

IME, otos are much too shy to bother spawning rams. They might try to take on an unprotected egg like those of cories, but anything with parental instincts would keep them away quite easily.

It's been my observation over the years that all cichlids, especially S.American ones, are easily distracted when spawning. While the Otos may not be deliberately going after the eggs, they could distract the male to the point where he misses the opportunity to fertilize some laid eggs. When you make your money creating fish, this is an unacceptable result.
Now, maybe today's fish have lost that drive or instinct to protect. That I can not say. But as someone who successfully bred multiple pairs of Rams when being kept by themselves (no dither fish), I stand by my comment ;)

Back
Top Bottom