Breeding Convicts.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maddybrat

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 2 Convict cichlids. They are in a 29 gallon tank. When I got them I was told they were boy and girl but soon found out they are both boys. One was dominate and tore up the other pretty bad. We moved him to my 10 gallon community tank to heal (bad idea) where he managed to nip off my beautiful bettas tail. Now he is all healed so we moved him back to the 29 gallon along with the divider. We tried rearranging before the divider but that didn't work. Okay to the point here, could I try to get some females for them to breed with?:) I think they are beautiful fish and they have such interesting personalities.:) any advice or opinions are welcome.:) thanks,
Maddy.

Attachments

• image-704743138.jpg
    image-704743138.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 87
I would probably move one of the convicts to a separate tank because ad you've seen for yourself they are pretty territorial it is easy to sex convict if you don't already know the males dorsal(back)fin exceeds the caudal(tail)fin and the females is much shorter also females may show orange specks on the belly during breeding. Convicts are much more faithful than most people and breed for life(they don't cheat). My convicts breed at around 80'f and will take care of their young for bout 6 or 7 weeks, but don't go sticking your hand in the tank when the babies r young the male will headbutt you. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom