Breeding guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graemecookie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 4 female guppies. About to buy a male one will they just breed in my 165 litre tank with the other fish or shall
I use my breeding net in the main tank or let it happen naturally??

Guess it also depends on the guppy, I put mine in one of those breeding traps and it kinda freaked out in there, I took her out and then this past Saturday, my wife told me babies were swimming in the aquarium, I am sure the swordtails and other guppies ate some of the fry but I managed to save 12 and immediately put them in their aquahome.

Though i have heard some peoples guppies give birth in the breeding net, so like I mentioned I guess its down to the fish.

So if I put the male and 4 females in together for 24 hours then take them out? How long does it take so u can notice that the female is pregnant! I would like to breed guppies well if possible

The gestation period is about a month. I think it takes 7-10 days to suspect they are pregnant. I wouldn't worry about separating the fish, until the females are ready to drop. When the females are REALLY pregnant - 3 weeks - move them to the birthing tank. If you want the fry to have a high rate of survival, then you;ll need a second tank to grow them out in. Adults will eat the fry.

Should have the gravid spot at the back then you know she pregnant, she will ofcourse look like a mini balloon, never saw an actual birth....just the fry swimming around but like some of the members on here also say, if you have a planted tank it gives the fry an ideal place to hide cause the moms normally use the fry as a snack!

I have two plants in the back corner next to the filter! What colour guppy do u think I should go for?

It depends on your preferences.
As for fry, they have chances to servive in common tank if you add more plants.

Like Andrey says, they are colourless or grey. Read they get their colour after 6-8 weeks (I stand to be corrected). The adult male guppy I have has this leopard skin-styled tail, looks awesome, just hope I get another male looking in that type of colouring.

Back
Top Bottom