Breeding harlequin tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Icd1227

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had 4 harlequin tetras for about a year, and they are showing very bright, absolutely beautiful orange/redness, I don't think I've seen any ones with color like this on the internet. I would love to breed them.

I have a 26 gallon planted, with high light. Amazon swords, java fern, water wisteria, rotala indica, crpyts
I also have driftwood in there.

My pH I believe is around 7.5, but I haven't checked in a while, il check soon and update. No ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates.

What should I do to get the rasboras to breed? I want to know everything I can do.

Sorry for saying harlequin tetras lol! It's been a long day.

Harquin rasboras*

I've had 4 harlequin tetras for about a year, and they are showing very bright, absolutely beautiful orange/redness, I don't think I've seen any ones with color like this on the internet. I would love to breed them.

I have a 26 gallon planted, with high light. Amazon swords, java fern, water wisteria, rotala indica, crpyts
I also have driftwood in there.

My pH I believe is around 7.5, but I haven't checked in a while, il check soon and update. No ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates.

What should I do to get the rasboras to breed? I want to know everything I can do.

Rasbora hets usually breed in soft, acidic, medium warm water in lower light conditions. Temps: 76-78 degrees.
What's different about these fish is that unlike most tetras, these fish deposit eggs on the underside of a leaf as opposed to scattering them "willy nilly."
Check your PH and hardness and if necessary, gradually reduce the ph to approx. 6.3 to 6.4 and the hardness to 1-2. Make sure you have broad leafed plants that can handle low light (i.e. crypts). Once these conditions have been met, your chances of them breeding on their own rise tremendously. If they don't, I have other "tricks" :brows::D

2 questions:
1: are you sure you have at least 1 male and 1 female? (Females usually have a rounder bottom from being swollen with eggs and a larger triangle.)

2: How are your plants doing with 0 nitrates? Plants need some nitrogen in the water for feeding so 0 doesn't sound too good. ;)

Hope this helps (y)

1) I'm positive, as far as I can tell I have two females and two males

2) I have no idea, I'm actually seeing crazy plant growth right now, il double check, maybe there is something wrong with the test

1) I'm positive, as far as I can tell I have two females and two males

2) I have no idea, I'm actually seeing crazy plant growth right now, il double check, maybe there is something wrong with the test

Yeah, I'd check the reagent. ;) FYI: In the old days, the nitrate reagent in most test kits was the first to go bad.

It just goes against my thinking that the plants can be doing so well with 0 nitrogen. If it's true, I need to figure out what you are doing so I can do it in my garden outside. Just imagine, nitrogen free lettuce!!! lol :D:lol:(y)

Keep us posted (y)

Back
Top Bottom