Breeding Pearl Gouramis: should I go for it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshSaltGirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have three pearl gouramis in my main planted tank, 2 males, 1 female. The lfs person was rather incompetent, because I wanted 2 females and 1 male. Anyway, I got them back in December and they were getting along peacably. Now, the males have turned very bright orange and gotten nippy with each other, and the female is swollen with eggs. I can tell which male is dominant, because he constantly nips the female's flanks and guides her over to this clump of floating plants. The current in my main is too strong for him to build a nest, though.

I have a spare 20 gallon downstairs with a heater, light and small air driven filter, along with multiple live and fake plants. I have raised molly fry before, but that's pretty simple. I'm just wondering how much more work the gourami fry will be? Maybe someone with personal experience can tell me. As well as that - I've read some conflicting Internet sources claiming that the fry need micro worms before they can take BBS. But other sites say that powdered fry food is fine, complimented by BBS. Any tips and tricks would be appreciated. Here are some pics of the gouramis: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424583484.623297.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424583517.123075.jpg

bump. Would appreciate info. Preferably someone with experience breeding gouramis themselves. Oh even bettas, since they're related.

Back
Top Bottom