Breeding pr Angelfish & Pentagon Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyberkat

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone,

I am having Angelfish issues!! I have a 40 g breeder community set up that includes 1 breeding pr of Angelfish. After 5 tries eggs never lasted past the 24 hr mark and on 6th try they lasted nearly 48 hrs. Only issue is my guys nearly killed each other on the 6th try, I had to put a divider in the the tank. I am considering buying a used 40 g pentagon tank. Would this type of set up work for a breeding pr of Angelfish, I'm not sure if it's better to have more footprint or height? Also considering splitting pr up, putting 1 in each tank. How would a breeding pair handle "single" life?

Hi everyone,

I am having Angelfish issues!! I have a 40 g breeder community set up that includes 1 breeding pr of Angelfish. After 5 tries eggs never lasted past the 24 hr mark and on 6th try they lasted nearly 48 hrs. Only issue is my guys nearly killed each other on the 6th try, I had to put a divider in the the tank. I am considering buying a used 40 g pentagon tank. Would this type of set up work for a breeding pr of Angelfish, I'm not sure if it's better to have more footprint or height? Also considering splitting pr up, putting 1 in each tank. How would a breeding pair handle "single" life?

The first question needs to be "Are you planning on breeding them to raise the young?" If you are not, they would be better off in separate tanks as it sounds like there is some frustration on the aggressor's part which will only lead to either a maimed or dead partner. If possible, create gender specific tanks so that you don't have this issue again. Angels do do better when in a schooling situation when not breeding.

A 40 gal Pent. tank will be fine for the pair if you are palnning on breeding them for the fry. The aggression will probably subside once the eggs make it past the 48 hours. The thing is that I would leave the pair by themselves in this tank. No Scavengers, no tankmates. That is the reason why they are not having their spawns survive. Breeders are better off being by themselves. If this is what you want, then go for it. (y)

If you need help with raising the Angel Fry, just PM me ;)

Thanks Andy!!! I usually buy two of a fish and consider myself lucky if they have fry. It's pure luck with these two Angels, they were about the size of a Nickle when I got them almost a year ago. From what I can determine these guys are "mild mannered" for a breeding pair with the exception of this last time! I have heard that Koi are the most mild mannered of the Angels; my male is a Koi, the female is not.

I'm curious, what size tank would you use for a gender specific tank and how many would it hold?

Thanks Andy!!! I usually buy two of a fish and consider myself lucky if they have fry. It's pure luck with these two Angels, they were about the size of a Nickle when I got them almost a year ago. From what I can determine these guys are "mild mannered" for a breeding pair with the exception of this last time! I have heard that Koi are the most mild mannered of the Angels; my male is a Koi, the female is not.

I'm curious, what size tank would you use for a gender specific tank and how many would it hold?

For me, the question is: How many do you want to have because this determines what size tank to put that number in.

There are no set rules for "gender specific" tanks only that all the inhabitants are of the same gender. ;)

With Angels, in my experience, there can be a frustration factor that leads mates to turn on each other. In one pair I had, the male ate the eggs as soon as the female laid them. (I watched this happen.) When she was finshed laying all the eggs, you could see the look in her eyes that she thought she did a good job. She turned to the male and then watched him eat the last string of her eggs and she turned on him and "tore him a new one." Considering that this male was the dominant one of the 2 during courtship, one can only assume that his actions caused her actions. In your case, because there have been so many unsuccessful spawnings, the pair may be turning on each other as if to say " It's your fault we have no babies" and the smackdown commenced. I think the temperment you are discussing with the Koi variety is more towards other fish and not their mates. However, I have not bred or kept Kois (because they didn't exist when I was breeding Angels :brows:) so my ideas are based on the specie in general and not the color form specificly.

I hope this helps....(y)

Back
Top Bottom