Breeding Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NicoC16

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29 gallon tank that I was thinking about using as a breeder tank for some freshwater fish. I was wondering which fish are the easiest to breed. I have heard that zebra danios are pretty easy, but how would I go about actually breeding them?

Basically get 6-10 of them, acclimate them to the tank, do a 10% WC, leave them in the tank overnight, and in the morning move them back to a different tank (so they don't eat the eggs). Wait a few days until you start seeing a whole bunch of wigglers on the glass and rockwork (They are VERY small), and be warned, you will have hundreds of fry. Some people recommend using a bare-bottom tank but I did it in a 10G with an undergravel filter (and gravel) and everything went fine. Don't use a backpack filter though, it will suck up the fry.

How do you know when to put them in the other tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You don't really know when to move them. I normally put them into the breeding tank for just a night.

Fishobsessed, they really aren't compared to zebra danios.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

To breed zebra danios you will need a sponge filter for filtration also I use no substrate in bottom since they like to scatter their eggs. But I also take about 20 4 inch stans of yarn and make a mini mop that they could drop their eggs on and in. Once egged are laid remove parents as they will seek eggs out and eat them. I get 2 females their usually chubby and makes are always thin so I do a 2 to 1 ratio. Feed them blood worms and tubifex worms and food with high protein to get them ready to spawn

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nah it's not nearly that hard. Just put them in an aquarium and do a small water change, leave them overnight, take them out in the morning. Feed the fry finely ground flake food. That's really it.

Back
Top Bottom