Breeding rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettaowner

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am almost ready to move my convict fry and now I'd like to breed a cichlid that is a bit more challenging so I chose rams. I have a piece of slate for the pair to spawn on and I also have some frozen food to condition the pair. I'll be getting the fish from a store that sells locally bred fish or the store that I work at. Both places should be able to help me find a good pair. Has anyone had good experience breeding rams? I've been doing some research but I'd also like to hear experiences. Any help is appreciated.

they are hard to breed should hav a tank for themselves (learned this the hard way) and mine spawned on a amazon sword

They will be alone and I have some open surfaces for them to spawn on

I've had my rams for two weeks now and this is what happened. I can't move them so going to make nature take its course.

Attachments

• image-634542324.jpg
    image-634542324.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 55
  • image-3094790644.jpg
    image-3094790644.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 70
  • image-3970354466.jpg
    image-3970354466.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 66
Oh here is my uncles breeding tips!

He keeps a male and 4 females in it, but he says its kinda hard for them to breed, they find their partner at a young age
He had sand and a flat stone that has other small stacked ones on top serving like a cave, he also has two guppies in with them, he says that they make the rams feel more comfortable(I don't know) this works for him, and he says that that it is easier for them to breed in soft water
Once the babies are born , the parents will guide them and tech them, then once they are 5 months old, remove the babies

Did you do anything to get the rams to breed? I'm trying to breed the German blue ram. Does your uncle feed the parents live food to condition them.? What does he feed the fry?

That's what mine are. I've done nothing at all. I change the water every week 25 percent and that's it. Based on my readings they seem much easier to keep than what I was lead to believe. Want a bigger tank but wife will never let it happen.

Well, my uncle puts the male in a 2.5 gallon tank for a while, with six females surrounding the male in those betta cups for 30 minutes, he watches to see which ones the Male is more interested in, and he picks three, he feeds the fry baby brine shrimp and the adults blood worms one day, and brine shrimp the other day

With the pairs it can be luck of the draw..sometimes the male will be too aggressive for the female..even once paired and she'll die from the stress. They like warm, soft water (80*+) and need a minimum of a 10 gallon tank. They are alot more hardy than most think.. goodluck trying to get a good pair..hopefully they will spawn for you. It might take a few tries spawning for them to get it right, but they're get it down in time.

Back
Top Bottom