Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes

I have a 29 gallon aquarium for all this. Would it be viable to get 1 male and 2-3 females(all sexual mature)? If so is there a place online where I can buy fully grown albino's/longfin?

Also I have an empty 10 and 20 gallon(long) tank for the babies!

If you have the ability to, you should always have more females than males to increase the odds of a pairing. As for where to locate breeders, if your local stores don't carry them, you may want to contact a Tropical Fish Club or Catfish Club in your area. If you google "Fish Clubs" and add your state, you should get a list. As for buying online, if I were to do that, I would be buying a number of younger fish and growing them out. Not that I am skeptical, but you never know when you buy site unseen that you are really getting what you wanted. I've only bought fish I've watched before I paid for them.

Hope this helps...(y)

AquaKai said:
The livebearers:
Platys
Mollies
Guppies
Swordtails
Endlers

Can Playts mix with Tetras, neons, guppies? Or any suggestion of what else I can put with these? I also have a couple of snails (not sure if they are apple snails) plus I gave a single large angel fish that does its own thing

It depends

Can Playts mix with Tetras, neons, guppies? Or any suggestion of what else I can put with these? I also have a couple of snails (not sure if they are apple snails) plus I gave a single large angel fish that does its own thing

It depends on the types of Tetras you want to mix with the Platys. Some are more aggressive and may chew on the Platys. Neons are Tetras and can mix. Platys and Guppys can mix (y)

We have Slimline Tetras and Red Eye Tetras, neons, male guppies and the angel all living in harmony - really like the look of the Playts

Sounds like a winner!

We have Slimline Tetras and Red Eye Tetras, neons, male guppies and the angel all living in harmony - really like the look of the Playts

I'm not too familiar with Slimline Tetras but they may just be a new name for an old fish or a new variation of an old fish. That being said, if these fish are all living in harmony with the male Guppys, mixing in some Platys should be no problem.

Hope this helps...(y)

Aron said:
I would say guppies just because you can get so many different kinds, different patterns and different colours. Veil tail, lyre tail, ribbon, full moscow, sword tail.. The list goes on!

They are always active and if you get males with big fins and big tail, they are such beautiful fish the way they flutter around. I think of them as the peacock of the freshwater fish world!

Breeding is easy and fry are often strong enough to survive with little to no special care. Then as they get older they start developing their colours which is so exciting as you find out who the father was or even surprise yourself with a cool new variant you haven't seen before as the result of mixing colours from parents.

I agree so many different colours and tail types. They sell pritty cheap but if your have multiple females you could get alot of fry. My three females had 50+ fry

Back
Top Bottom