Brenna ' s fish room basement build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm of the opinion that either it's bacteria or some other fish ripped her very preggers belly open. She's still alive. If she lives til tomorrow I'll begin treatment, otherwise I'm really not thinking she will make it that long.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There is another possibility, it's coming from within. If the fish gets bound or can't deliver, the fry may be too large to stay inside and are just ripping her insides up. (I couldn't tell from your pic if the wound was internal or external. ) That's the danger sometimes of breeding livebearers that are not "the same." If you breed a smaller female or one that produces smaller fry with a male that produces larger fry, the female cannot always handle the load. If there are too many fry inside, she bursts from within. Guess you'll know tomorrow. :huh:

That's very helpful Andy, thanks. I'm wondering if that's the case here because the wound is exactly where you see the fry eyes through the mother. She looks ready to drop but there are no fry. I was hoping she'd drop them since she's injured but no dice, so you may be in to something. No others are sick in her tank and it's just females.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Bad news. The two biggest farlowella I purchased not even a week ago died. I'm not sure why. No sign of outward disease. I can't find one of them but the other 3 and the 4 badis in that tank ate fine. Fish from that particular store are really hit or miss. Not knowledgeable staff at all and many times fish are sick. I can return the dead at least for 14 days with no receipt or water sample. No questions asked.

Bad news. The two biggest farlowella I purchased not even a week ago died. I'm not sure why. No sign of outward disease. I can't find one of them but the other 3 and the 4 badis in that tank ate fine. Fish from that particular store are really hit or miss. Not knowledgeable staff at all and many times fish are sick. I can return the dead at least for 14 days with no receipt or water sample. No questions asked.

What? :( that's sad.. :'( that sounds like a box/chain store, but I'm pretty sure you're talking about your lfs, right? I dunno, but personally I wouldn't purchase from them until they clean up their act.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Box store. The issue is they have fish no one else does around here for good prices, so I take my chances.

I have the same problem, and farlowellas are hit or miss IME. Some do great and others kick it a few days after getting them with no visible issues. Sorry for the loss :(

Np other algae eater but there are snails which I try to control. I also supplement with algae tabs and seaweed sheets.

I know I keep showing this fish but I'm really happy with his colors. The other one seemed cold so I switched out the tiny heater and it seems better and more active today. Still dull colors.
Next up is the first killifish I ever bred. It's an immature male and he's in my aquafarm that I restarted down in the basement. I forgot to smooth the gravel before I closed the top. Oops. Aquafarm is weird. Your not supposed to change the water, just top off but I always changed the water anyway.
Panda guppies that arrived yesterday are little pigs. USPS was late so they were quite hungry when they got here. I waited a few hours then fed a little. They ate later that night and then today.

Attachments

• 1450298375035.jpg
    1450298375035.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 1450298460069.jpg
    1450298460069.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 1450298725087.jpg
    1450298725087.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 47
So here's the apistos. They're piggies and beg when they see me now.

Attachments

• 1450298788046.jpg
    1450298788046.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 1450298798535.jpg
    1450298798535.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 48
  • 1450298831431.jpg
    1450298831431.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 50
I took the farlowellas back that didn't make it and snagged these with my store credit for $1.98 each except for what I think is the celebes rainbow. They others weren't as nice. Anyone k own what the orangish ones with orange fins are? They were marked as "Australian"

Attachments

• 1450309622368.jpg
    1450309622368.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 1450309635626.jpg
    1450309635626.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 47
  • 1450309648845.jpg
    1450309648845.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 52
Does anyone know what the orange and yellow tetras are? They're very pretty. I didn't buy any but couldn't figure.out if they were the Von Rio orange or what.

Attachments

• 1450309697645.jpg
    1450309697645.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 56
Does anyone know what the orange and yellow tetras are? They're very pretty. I didn't buy any but couldn't figure.out if they were the Von Rio orange or what.

Von Rio I believe is correct.

Thanks!!

I just figured out I got a male celebes. They are schooling fish so I need to go back and get some females now that I know what they look like. Acclimating them to the qt tank now.

IME plants never did good in the aquafarm unless you did water changes, and even then they didn't do great.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

My seeds for the cats like oat and wheat grass and sunflower shoots did well. I just find the whole system to be a pain to be honest. It was a gift and it's getting to be yearly visit from that person time so I set it up. Lol

My seeds for the cats like oat and wheat grass and sunflower shoots did well. I just find the whole system to be a pain to be honest. It was a gift and it's getting to be yearly visit from that person time so I set it up. Lol

Haha, I know what what you mean! I hated WC day on it!

Wheat grass was all I could grow to maturity!

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

It appears that something in the pleco eggs in trying to hatch. I see a wiggly little tail off an egg. I'm kinda going at the artificial hatching blind here.

It appears that something in the pleco eggs in trying to hatch. I see a wiggly little tail off an egg. I'm kinda going at the artificial hatching blind here.

I lied. It was the current. They were getting fungus'd and smelled so I chucked them.

I HAVE ORANGE LASER CORY EGGS!!!!!

I just found them all around the glass. I had to go swimming because the tank is on the bottom of the rack and hard to reach the back of it but I got them! White worms for them tomorrow!!

Attachments

• 1450325888013.jpg
    1450325888013.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 54
So jealous!!! What are the water params/tank setup for them again? Sorry don't have brain power to comb the thread at the moment :(

Back
Top Bottom