Brenna ' s fish room basement build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mr Gardneri says hello. The new ones are hiding. I gave a treat to the small fish of microworms. I normally I KY feed live to those who won't accept flake. Those apistos! They leave the guppy fry I couldn't catch alone. I was hoping they'd make a snack. The apistos pick up the flake the guppies get and spit it back out. "What the bleep is this?" They get worms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol they will eventually take the flake too.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My apistos are picky but eating...
I feed flake first and sparingly.
IMO they like rams spit it out and eat it again(we just usually miss the second part..).
They will eat off bottom and like the rams and cories I wonder about a thin layer of sand??
I think mine may even be eating NLS.
The angels really draw them into the eating activity.

Anubias coffe.. is a great looking plants. 3d leaves!! No glasses needed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My apistos are picky but eating...
I feed flake first and sparingly.
IMO they like rams spit it out and eat it again(we just usually miss the second part..).
They will eat off bottom and like the rams and cories I wonder about a thin layer of sand??
I think mine may even be eating NLS.
The angels really draw them into the eating activity.
Ok that helps. The tank just has leaf litter and no substrate. Eventually I'm going to set up a totally different tank just for them. I'll do sand then.

I'm buying a used RO unit from a friend. He rarely uses it so he said he'd sell it to me for cheap, I'm the talking $30 cheap. It's a coralife but not sure which model. I'm going to save the waste water and maybe try the shrimp thing or else use it for some household purpose like washing floors. Lol

I guess my dad commented to my mom how organized and cleaned up I am keeping the basement. When it was his zone it was a different story.

When I get the 75g sometime in the days following xmas, I'm going to make kind of a fish area square near where the guppies are I stead of moving into the second room yet. Same friend is selling me that tank. He buys out people's fish rooms sometimes so I'm getting it for less that 50 cents a gallon. I'm also going to try to take another AA member with me to this breeders house so he can see the set up. He has all built in tanks. 2 rooms of them. The special room has rare goodieds in it that were collected 20+ years ago and I guess you can't get anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Mine are leaf litter no substrate also(still).
I have to clean under the leaves pretty regulary....
Mostly due to feeding as much as possible and filter flow.:facepalm:

Who would have guessed you would have dwarf cichlids???:confused:
The peer pressure is overwhelming I will admit!:nono:

Anubias coffe.. is a great looking plants. 3d leaves!! No glasses needed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I got that for $1 to $2 only!! I think this 80+ year old German man grew it. I hope I'm still active and keeping fish and plants when I'm his age. I almost asked him in German if he spoke German but then I thought to myself - do you remember anymore than that to have a convo? Answer is not really. Lol oh well.

I'm going to sell at the Killifish club table at the GCCA swap near Chicago. My plans for January include a 75g and another 40b. The 40b I'll get with store credit from selling them my plecos. Then I can move plecos and everyone can get out of qt and into proper sized tanks for their groups. One of the keepers I met yesterday also keeps L333 and L201. Good to know if I don't end up with the right sexes.

Mine are leaf litter no substrate also(still).
I have to clean under the leaves pretty regulary....
Mostly due to feeding as much as possible and filter flow.:facepalm:

Who would have guessed you would have dwarf cichlids???:confused:
The peer pressure is overwhelming I will admit!:nono:
No kidding!! I was so excited to see them come up in the points auction. So really I paid $20 for the group of 7, is how it works out. I even have water with leaves and peat in it sitting in a big bucket so I don't shock them with the water change.
Little buggers probably have my figured out and know I'll relent and feed them worms. My worst fear is starving the fish. I feed such a smorgasbord it's not even funny.

I'm buying a used RO unit from a friend. He rarely uses it so he said he'd sell it to me for cheap, I'm the talking $30 cheap. It's a coralife but not sure which model. I'm going to save the waste water and maybe try the shrimp thing or else use it for some household purpose like washing floors. Lol

Awesome price on the RO unit! Definitely recommend investing in a TDS meter. Well worth the $15 and you'll need to know how your RO unit is doing. You'll also want to know if you are mixing water what your target TDS is. Also to reduce waste water, the higher the water pressure going in the better. So turn your faucet up as high as it will go. Also I have quick disconnect on my basement sink faucet and that helps with hookup. I turn the water on full blast and check temp. (I aim for 68-72) and then connect the line to the RO. The proper temp and pressure can help reduce waste water. Good luck with it!

Mr Gardneri is a very handsome fish! I like him! I'll have to look into that species for maybe some day in the future.

Mr Gardneri is an Aphosymion killifish. There's a video of him spawning on another thread labeled killifish spawning. He's more aggressive than my others. He attacks his food. I have one or two fry from him already and now more eggs I hope. I don't pull the spawning mops I just let nature take its course for now.

I took some other killifish pictures. All Aphosymion types except the last pic. I forgot what it is but it's blue panchax. I need to do some research.

Attachments

• 1450729164420.jpg
    1450729164420.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 1450729196951.jpg
    1450729196951.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 1450729213340.jpg
    1450729213340.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 1450729227802.jpg
    1450729227802.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 53
These are updated rainbow pics. The thread fin have really colored up and look good in the last 2 months. Could be the change to Cobalt foods?

Attachments

• 1450729357689.jpg
    1450729357689.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 1450729368347.jpg
    1450729368347.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 1450729382165.jpg
    1450729382165.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 1450729399576.jpg
    1450729399576.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 66
I took some other killifish pictures. All Aphosymion types except the last pic. I forgot what it is but it's blue panchax. I need to do some research.

The 1st, 2nd and 3rd are not Aphyosemion, the splendopleur are Chromaphyosemion

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

2 and 3 are Aphosymion. The guy with long flowing fins is an Australe and I have the collection point on him. There is debate about the names. The little guy is for sure and he is not at all colored up or fin is he'd growing.

The Australe was labeled A. AUSTRALE BSWG 97/24 Cape Esteris. It's not a total Aquarium strain like some Australe. These came from a big breeder who wholesales them to the killifish club.

The single female in last pic is Fundulopanchax. Or however you spell it.

Attachments

• 1450742996830.jpg
    1450742996830.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 61
The bivittatum they consider an Aphosymion bivittatum splendopure and he is labeled tiko green

The chromaphosymion appears to be a sub-genus of Aphosymion so we are both correct as some of the fish I have are included in both.

The Australe is actually my favorite killifish that I have. I just love his tail. Too bad my female vanished.

Attachments

• 1450759632657.jpg
    1450759632657.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 67
The female guppy that had her side gashed or infected is healing. I've had her on her own with IAL water and Maracyn Oxy.
The half black yellows and purples are not doing well. I'm not getting anymore or new strains to continue to work with them. Right now I'm thinking about crossing over one of my 3/4 black that threw a black moscow with the Thai strain. As far as the reds go new females were introduced as was as group of new reds from a different breeder. In my parents room there is a tank of males and a tank of females that haven't been crossed with those new reds. I need to try some line breeding in 2016. Another goal is to keep better records.

The female guppy that had her side gashed or infected is healing. I've had her on her own with IAL water and Maracyn Oxy.
The half black yellows and purples are not doing well. I'm not getting anymore or new strains to continue to work with them. Right now I'm thinking about crossing over one of my 3/4 black that threw a black moscow with the Thai strain. As far as the reds go new females were introduced as was as group of new reds from a different breeder. In my parents room there is a tank of males and a tank of females that haven't been crossed with those new reds. I need to try some line breeding in 2016. Another goal is to keep better records.

Careful with the word "try" lol. Line breeding takes years. I line bred my German Red Peacock cichlids. I did this to get a more solid red coloring on the tips of the dorsal fin &rays of females. It took 6 yrs to start getting a spawn to yeild 70+% of that trait. And 8 for it to be onset to the next 2 generations. Good luck on your goals. You got this.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I need to read up more on guppy genetics and line breeding. There are some articles on the IFGA website. I just have to locate my password. Lol

Back
Top Bottom