Brenna ' s fish room basement build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just purchased the plant in Pic 1 and 2. Pic 3 wasn't doing well so I moved it to rainbow tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1451689520148.jpg
    1451689520148.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 1451689534667.jpg
    1451689534667.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 1451689551761.jpg
    1451689551761.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 64
Those are crinums..pretty sure they are root feeders

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pic 1 and 2 is an offshoot from a bulb and pic 3 is a large bulb so yes you are correct. Pic 3 wasn't getting enough light

Brenna

Pic 1 and 2 are aponogeton ulvaceus? The crinum will need root tabs and like harder water. I am actually tossing around ideas for new root tabs for alkalinity loving plants along with a few others in testing now....

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Root tabs check. Hard water in that tank check. Ulvaceuous check. I have another big Ulvaceuous in the 40b with the ancistrus/bn plecos, but it's cloudy. Filter issues. Grrr

Brenna

Just had my trainee clean his first cannister. I was a nice guy and had him clean the sunsun instead of the fluval. Needless to say he still didn't enjoy priming the easier one lol.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I went to a club meeting today. Purchased two boesmani rainbows from a guy who has been breeding them for years and even has red millennials, he said he and Gary Lange are the only to have them. I think those are the fish he said. He showed me pics of his fish and fishroom
Nice older chap.

Meeting went well. I saw a presentation on cichlids.

Also heard a claim that temperature fluctuations causes ich. Not sure I agree with that. How does it just suddenly appear? Sure temp fluctuations can weaken the fish making them more susceptible but I don't believe it causes it.

Also had a catastrophe in the fishroom. They broke a lid.

I learned some rainbows do best with spawning mops. Here are some pics the rainbows I already have

Attachments

• 1451799725491.jpg
    1451799725491.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 1451799776032.jpg
    1451799776032.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 1451799790938.jpg
    1451799790938.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 1451799803619.jpg
    1451799803619.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 84
Also heard a claim that temperature fluctuations causes ich. Not sure I agree with that. How does it just suddenly appear? Sure temp fluctuations can weaken the fish making them more susceptible but I don't believe it causes it.

I don't think they meant that it was the actual creation of the parasite but that temp fluctuations cause Ick breakouts. As you said, "...can weaken the fish making them more susceptible...." to the parasite. It's quite common to see an Ick breakout just after a major temp change. (This is another reason why massive water changes can sometimes do more harm than good especially when water temps are not equal.)

To answer " How does it just suddenly appear?", fish have many organisms living inside them that need the host to be in a weakened state in order to activate, for a lack of a better word, and overtake their host. Many diseases and parasites ( actually eggs of the parasites) are passed down from parent to offspring. It's very difficult to totally clean out a fish of all diseases or parasites which is why keeping the fish healthy is the best way to prevent them from getting sick. It's why no fish should be considered "clean" and new fish should always be QTed as prevention. You just never know what is going to POP up. :eek:

Hope this explains it better. (y)

Andy, I swear from the stories this guy was telling about vending at fish shows he meant it really causes ich. For instance he said he has had people buy fish from him, put them in their tank and then call him up claiming his fish had ich. He said he looked his fish over and no ich so it must have been the temp change. He also doesn't do regular water changes and said how it's dangerous when you have a lot of dark debris in the bottom of the tank and it gets stirred up. Heard that before and sure it makes sense but why aren't these people doing water changes?

Here's one of my badis males. I thought my phone took a good shot. It's amazing the change since I bought them. Good food, clean water and less stress. FYI they were housed with clawed frogs previously in the lfs.

Attachments

• 1452044524090.jpg
    1452044524090.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 85
Wow, the colors are amazing on him. What are you feeding them? Did you have any trouble getting them to eat?

Rose badis. Anyone know how to sex them. I'm still learning. They do enjoy their worms and gnats.

Attachments

• 1452044629556.jpg
    1452044629556.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 70
Here's one of my badis males. I thought my phone took a good shot. It's amazing the change since I bought them. Good food, clean water and less stress. FYI they were housed with clawed frogs previously in the lfs.

??ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452044860.087093.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452044870.106175.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wow, the colors are amazing on him. What are you feeding them? Did you have any trouble getting them to eat?

Well there's a few guppies in the tank so they get flake But I haven't seen the badis eat it. I also add microworms and a few white worms. Tons of floating plant cover which they seem to really like.

When I feed the microworms I swish them into the water in about 4 to 6 places to make sure everyone gets some as the rose badis are in this tank too for now. Such a size difference! Rose are twice the size of the scarlet.

One I couldn't get to eat well and lost him but the other 5 are fine. FYI the female is a male. Doh!!

Wow, that's gorgeous! Gotta try those someday. Hopefully you have more luck finding females...

Fish manager at the lfs can't sex them but the distributor takes her order over the phone. The dristubor tries to only "send the pretty ones". I told her the females are considered ugly so next time I order to say send only ugly ones. Lol

Back
Top Bottom