Brian's 3g Long Rimless - MTS struck again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
What's up AA!

I'm back again with another episode of MTS (multiple tank syndrome)!!! I promised myself that I wouldn't "buy" another tank until I finish school and buy a house... but what can I say, I didn't buy the tank... I WON IT! :)

So I guess that's one way to find a loophole. Anyways, this little pico tank is pretty neat. It has an interesting footprint, but with 3g's there's not much you can do with it with such limited real estate. Plus, I don't have as much time on my hands as I used to... so scaping and planting this tank might take some time (or not), we'll see. :hide:

This little rimless gem came complete with a LED light, HOB filter, diffuser, and Mr. Aqua Aquarium Soil Substrate (2 bags). Not sure yet if I'll use the diffuser because I might just make this low tech. But with such a shallow depth and an unfamiliar light source, I just might have to rig up the CO2 if I start seeing algae. Who knows??? I'll just have to play it by ear when the time comes to do something with this tank other than stare at it. LOL

So here are the specs:

Tank:
Mr. Aqua 3 Gallon Mini Rimless Tank (18 x 5.5 x 7.1")

Light:
Mr. Aqua Ultrathin Aquarium LED Light (7.2W)

HOB:
Azoo Mignon Filter 150 Power Filter

Substrate:
Mr. Aqua Aquarium Soil Substrate​

Everything else in terms of scape and stock are to be determined. Suggestions and comments are welcomed... but most likely this will be a shrimp and/or micro fish species tank.

Photos:
iu0o4FWAV7eY5.JPG

ib1zugKb8p2eR.JPG

inpqZW9XFk2wD.JPG

ibzdTRz86x2SSV.JPG

igHGYMirB9OQP.JPG

And the "extras":
iAY5zQR7BNOdy.JPG

iCNiUaaeQ8CSH.JPG

:thanks:

Last edited:
Interesting setup... it has some serious potential! Cpd and shrimp tank perhaps?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would not have guessed the size of the tank from the first image except for the wall plug. Looks like a much larger tank. I agree, it even looks good empty.

Can anybody link me to some LED plant growing information? I have never used an LED.

Even empty that's a beautiful tank. Think you could set me up on a date with her? :brows:

Haha.. Thanks, Mebbid. I know she has duplicate twins floating out there on the market. Larger sisters too, if bigger gals are your thing. But as of right now, she's faithful.. But you can certainly watch ;)

This rime it deserves a betta.;)
Rafael.. how's it man?!? Been a long time! Glad to see you're still around in the hobby. How's the high grade betta breeding going? Funny you mentioned the betta. The thought did cross my mind. Are the triple rimless cubes up still?

Interesting setup... it has some serious potential! Cpd and shrimp tank perhaps?

I was thinking CPDs or Chili Rasboras. Maybe yellow shrimp or blue jelly neos. There's actually a 3g rimless on YouTube i found yesterday that has CPDs + yellow shrimp. I might have to switch that up so I don't look like I'm copying his style! Haha

Last edited:
I would not have guessed the size of the tank from the first image except for the wall plug. Looks like a much larger tank. I agree, it even looks good empty.

Yeah this tank does have that appeal the more i look at it. l stumbled
upon this photo of a much smaller tank. If this guy can make it look large, I suppose i can at least try...

You can grow plants with 7.2 watts of LED light?

Sure you can, especially in a tank this shallow with only 7.2w. For the most part, watts don't matter too much in LED lighting (t5ho as well). Although I don't know the PAR in this light, PAR is what you want to look for in determining an LEDs capability.

Can anybody link me to some LED plant growing information? I have never used an LED.

Start a thread on this topic. Outline your tank information, budget, and light level you're trying to achieve. Many good options that we can recommend. :)

Great picture. Very well executed design overall... gotta love that custom built stand! Too bad it's coming down. You're going to have some sad bettas.

CPD's would look amazing in that tank!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah CPD's are definitely high on the list. I had CPDs one other time before in a larger tank. They were always hiding. That was my only gripe. But maybe since this tank is small, I'm pretty sure I'll see them more often.

I was considering dwarf puffers or scarlet badis again, but I don't feel up to the "special diet" they require.

Another one that I've really liked are clown killies. I know they stay small but being that they're top level swimmers, I'm afraid they might hop out.

So for micro fish... it's CPDs, Chili Rasboras, pygmy cories, or cobra endlers. However, my last attempt with cobra endlers didn't pan out so well. They have to be one of the most touchy fish I tried. Their pattern and coloration is gorgeous though.

Endlers are tough, you just have to find a durable bunch. They're like guppies, and mass bred, so they're transported in bulk. Lots won't survive the transition to store tanks, let alone another move to a home tank. Cobra anything look pretty amazing.

Did you have anything else in your tank when you had cpds? They're easy scared off. Even by other danios.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah CPD's are definitely high on the list. I had CPDs one other time before in a larger tank. They were always hiding. That was my only gripe. But maybe since this tank is small, I'm pretty sure I'll see them more often.

I was considering dwarf puffers or scarlet badis again, but I don't feel up to the "special diet" they require.

Another one that I've really liked are clown killies. I know they stay small but being that they're top level swimmers, I'm afraid they might hop out.

So for micro fish... it's CPDs, Chili Rasboras, pygmy cories, or cobra endlers. However, my last attempt with cobra endlers didn't pan out so well. They have to be one of the most touchy fish I tried. Their pattern and coloration is gorgeous though.

Really awesome tank you got there, Brian! I'd highly recommend clown killies -- they're one of my favorite nano fish and are stunning when fully mature. Out of the batch I got I did eventually have one jumper, but after a few changes (reduced flow in tank, added floaters) I've never had another one jump. They'd be great with some shrimp (I had them with RCS in their old tank).

Hey brian, i may be wrong on this.. at my lfs yesterdsy, peacock goby(gudgeon). They were way cool!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Really awesome tank you got there, Brian! I'd highly recommend clown killies -- they're one of my favorite nano fish and are stunning when fully mature. Out of the batch I got I did eventually have one jumper, but after a few changes (reduced flow in tank, added floaters) I've never had another one jump. They'd be great with some shrimp (I had them with RCS in their old tank).

Thanks, bro! Are the clown killies swimming only on top most of the time? Or do they start swimming everywhere when they get acclimated? Any special diet?

Back
Top Bottom