Brian's ADA 60P (17g) Rimless - Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aww man... It's sad when the rams go.. I'm 0/3 myself, I'm going to man up and buy a pair from yunite on eBay, everyone says they're the best/longest living rams you can get... Most rams are pumped full of hormones and other crap to bring out the color, I'd think even more so in color morphs like yours and golds..

:( I am sorry you lost him. Don't give up- he could have just been weak/unhealthy stock as others have suggested. Try getting one from a breeder or a more reputable seller. Aquabid might have some nice ones.

Thanks everyone for the outpouring of love. Gosh, he was such a great fish. Definitely not my first experience with a Ram, hopefully not my last. I know these guys are so sensitive... I've had positive and obviously the bad... unfortunately more bad. This is my first time hearing about Yuinite. What's so good about this breeder?

@Slavo - thanks... I'm not sure. I might get another EBR if I got a good deal or trade at my LFS. Otherwise, they're too touchy and expensive to risk it again.

One more thing, if I ever find a good specimen like this apisto (not my picture)... this would be my dream dwarf cichlid... anyone want to send me one like this? Haha

Attachments

• 1397663140264.jpg
    1397663140264.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 77
Thanks everyone for the outpouring of love. Gosh, he was such a great fish. Definitely not my first experience with a Ram, hopefully not my last. I know these guys are so sensitive... I've had positive and obviously the bad... unfortunately more bad. This is my first time hearing about Yuinite. What's so good about this breeder?

@Slavo - thanks... I'm not sure. I might get another EBR if I got a good deal or trade at my LFS. Otherwise, they're too touchy and expensive to risk it again.

Feeling for you, bro. Just wait until you get into Reefing...I bleached a $40 Acro this week when I forgot to acclimate it to light. Ugh. Lol.

My understanding is the main reason gbr's don't last is because they are pumped full of hormones and crap. Yunite breeds au natural... OS and dragon both have his rams, say they're great..
Edit- that apisto is awesome!! Il send you a "double red" !! Like my avatar..

I hear you. I've never had EBRs before, but I did have a Bolivian Ram, which ended up much the same as yours. After it passed, I learned that Rams in general are sensitive fish.

Feeling for you, bro. Just wait until you get into Reefing...I bleached a $40 Acro this week when I forgot to acclimate it to light. Ugh. Lol.

Sorry, Joey... you're speaking alien to me. What's a Acro? How dare you speak SW to my planted brain! Haha... j/k either way, 40$? Ouch!

My understanding is the main reason gbr's don't last is because they are pumped full of hormones and crap. Yunite breeds au natural... OS and dragon both have his rams, say they're great..
Edit- that apisto is awesome!! Il send you a "double red" !! Like my avatar..

Yeah I've heard the same... balloon rams are the worst offenders, I believe. But I'm pretty sure the morph colors aren't too far off either. Someone needs to fight the good fight and inject more stronger gene pool in the mix. Like keep mixing in wild caught with captive bred. Maybe Yunite's stock is just that! Gonna check it out.

I hear you. I've never had EBRs before, but I did have a Bolivian Ram, which ended up much the same as yours. After it passed, I learned that Rams in general are sensitive fish.

I'm surprised to hear this of a Bolivian. Heard these guys are loads more hardy than GBR's. Guess any species can parish from whatever disease just by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Yeah I've heard the same... balloon rams are the worst offenders, I believe. But I'm pretty sure the morph colors aren't too far off either. Someone needs to fight the good fight and inject more stronger gene pool in the mix. Like keep mixing in wild caught with captive bred. Maybe Yunite's stock is just that! Gonna check it out.
ya I'm ordering a pair as soon as I get back from vacation!!

Sorry, Joey... you're speaking alien to me. What's a Acro? How dare you speak SW to my planted brain! Haha... j/k either way, 40$? Ouch!

Haha it's a type of SPS (Small Polyp Stony) coral. Some of the most sensitive there are. Trust me..That was nothing...so I've learned.

Hi Brian, I haven't been on for a while so I just read through your last 10 pages. The tank looks great. The carpet came out very nice. Sorry to hear about your Ram he was a looker for sure. I had one mysteriously go on me last year to.

Congrats on the success of your tank. And as always the photo's are superb!

Yeah it's been a while mister... Thanks for taking the time to read all that. And thanks for the kind words. :)

So here's a new development with my 60p. I had to take an emergency leave to the Philippines because my grandma got ill and passed away shortly after. So I was overseas for about a month. I had my GF take care of my tanks, but that didn't work out too well. My CO2 stopped because the regulator somehow came loose off the cylinder and I came home to algae galore and dead plants...

Moreover, our moving to a new place has been delayed for another 2 to 3 months.. I was pretty much going to give up on this tank and start fresh. But instead, I decided to recover it with slight modifications.

So instead of a full-on rescape, this has become a salvage operation (like our 60F). I'm going to remove the DW, add more stone, and rearrange some of these plants (somewhat). Hopefully I can get these plants healthy again. I'll call this Ver. 2.5. Not yet worthy of Version 3, which will have an all new look and setup. This will probably be shortly after we move.

But for Ver. 2.5, I'm going to make one notable change, I'm swapping the dual Sat+ for a single Ecoxotic E-Series. For now it will sit directly on the tank. However, my goal, in the not too distant future, is to get the official 'hanging kit' and suspend the E-Series since it has the extra PAR power to do so. I want to have an open top again, and I believe the E-Series will allow me that. At that point, I'll do the full rescape with a frosty opaque white background w/ canister & Lily pipes. Something clean and more minimalistic. We'll see... =P

Back
Top Bottom