Brian's ADA 60P (17g) Rimless - Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brian I feel your pain. When I was in the hospital those 10 days my tanks only got the fish fed by my wife. Luckily the CO2 worked flawlessly by the timer but no ferts caused the GDA and BBA to come back on me. The L. Cuba was so big it was choking the whole tank of good light. H2O2 spot treated all the BBA and GDA slowly went away with a couple of WC's and correct maintenance. But I was really pleased by the flawless performance of my GLA CO2 system without any intervention. OS.

Brian I feel your pain. When I was in the hospital those 10 days my tanks only got the fish fed by my wife. Luckily the CO2 worked flawlessly by the timer but no ferts caused the GDA and BBA to come back on me. The L. Cuba was so big it was choking the whole tank of good light. H2O2 spot treated all the BBA and GDA slowly went away with a couple of WC's and correct maintenance. But I was really pleased by the flawless performance of my GLA CO2 system without any intervention. OS.

Welcome back, OS! Forum was quiet without you.
In hindsight, would there have been any benefit to overload the ferts (kind of ei style) prior to several days of no ferts but regular CO2 and lighting schedule? To prevent the GDA/BBA, that is.
Glad the GLA is doing well considering it was not cheap. I almost gassed my fish yesterday (turned the knob the wrong way).
Brian Nano, sorry for your loss overseas.

My CO2 works fine, it's more like user error on my part. Before I left a switched out to a full paintball tank in case my CO2 would run out. I didn't tighten the regulator onto the cylinder tight enough. It eventually came loose and cut out. But I do fancy those GLA systems. They have an all new line I've noticed.. But luckily I'm not in the market looking for CO2 equipment...lol

Brian, once it's recovered... I think a pair/trio of Apisto cacatuoides "triple red" would look nice in that tank. I had a bunch and they did well in my liquid concrete, and they do even better in soft water. They're super hardy and I didn't have any die on me at all.

Are you still breeding those, Max? I might be interested closer to the end of Fall when it cools down around here.

Are you still breeding those, Max? I might be interested closer to the end of Fall when it cools down around here.

No, I had 14 juvies that I grew out and sold as pairs, but I don't have anymore. Aquabid has a lot of apistos though, so that might be a good place to look. You could probably find a breeding pair/trio if you want to breed them.

Ever since my EBR kicked the bucket, I'm reluctant to buy any expensive fish. What do you think of a single Krib? They're cheap and hardy :)

Ever since my EBR kicked the bucket, I'm reluctant to buy any expensive fish. What do you think of a single Krib? They're cheap and hardy :)

That would be cool too. But cacatuoides aren't very expensive either if you get young ones.

Hi David, thanks for the welcome back. I didn't get a chance to extra dose my tanks as the hospital was an ER situation. The tanks were the least of my concern at the time. Seems my heart didn't take to dialysis very well. I thought the Old Scales was going to have to be flushed down the great white porcelain reaper there for a while. All figured out now, hopefully. OS.

Hi David, thanks for the welcome back. I didn't get a chance to extra dose my tanks as the hospital was an ER situation. The tanks were the least of my concern at the time. Seems my heart didn't take to dialysis very well. I thought the Old Scales was going to have to be flushed down the great white porcelain reaper there for a while. All figured out now, hopefully. OS.

OS - I understand. Yes, your health is THE priority and I'm glad you are still with us!
Timing was wrong. Also, perhaps I should have worded the question as "Let's say I am going out of town for a week and I perform a daily PPS-Pro regimen. Should I boost the dosage prior to leaving?"

Oh David, don't fret. I knew you meant well. On past camping trips I would triple dose the PPS and all would be well when we'd get back a week later. OS.

Update Time:

So I got the new Ecoxotic E-Series the other day for the 60P from Aquascape Depot. Since I really liked it on our 60F, I said what the heck... With salvage operation underway, I had to really clean-up the tank, cut away algae infested and dead plants. I took the advice of someone on TPT and hacked away A LOT of mini fiss off that DW to the bone. Some of the remaining moss on the DW is green while other parts are brown. I hope that it will recover because I really loved this branchy DW with the mini fiss on it. I just wasn't ready to let it go, or this scape for that matter... Plus, it will be easier (I think) to just keep this one going and not do the full-on rescape just yet. That will probably happen when we move before the end of the year.

So here's my new toy. 24" Ecoxotic E-Series fixture.
14337535768_4f5e3c9f01_b.jpg

FTS with a custom dim setting I created. Tank looks devoid of plants right about now :(
14523057732_f9ccf5f6ed_b.jpg

Another angle. This time on "Full Spectrum" mode. I know the Eheim Skim 350 is just an eyesore, isn't it?
14520717841_f1df75eede_b.jpg

Another dim setting I created to view my tank outside the photoperiod.
14337535788_e4d684b810_b.jpg

Here's another change I made. I got a Nag-Aqua (ADA Knock-Off) Beetle 30mm diffuser. It was truly a PITA to get the tubing over that stem!
14501004906_9c82a2ae73_b.jpg

14524098885_993cec4e67_b.jpg

Some initial thoughts on the E-Series on the 60P:

Although I really like the light overall, I think I'm just not used to seeing less even light coverage versus my dual Sat+ fixtures. There's a noticeable cutoff in light inside the tank along the back glass. It's completely dark halfway up due to the beam angle and relative short distance when the fixture is placed directly on the tank. However, this is quickly remedied when I lift the fixture several inches off the top of the tank. There isn't that much discernible reduction in brightness at the substrate level when I do this. I can only conclude at this point, that the hanging kit will definitely be needed if you want the tank evenly lit from bottom to top, front & back. I believe the hanging kit will be out in a month or two, so I'm going to keep my eye on that rather than DIY rigging up my own. For now, I'll continue to use the fixture as is, since my plants are all low to the substrate anyways.

Now the waiting game as my plants (hopefully) recover.

Thanks for tuning in!

Instead of getting another dwarf cichlid as a centerpiece fish, I might give one of these a try..

Unless I find an extraordinary deal on a nice looking triple red apisto that is. :)

That's a sweet looking fish there, what is it? I wish shipping fish was cheaper, I'd send you a pair of mine..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom