Brian's ADA 60P (17g) Rimless - Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really cool photos.

After your set photoperiod can you run the moonlights for ages without any negative affects? Like algae?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks!

I run an even dimmer moonlight setting all night. But I doubt this one pictured would cause any issues either.

That's a wild picture.. makes those neons pop like martians!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The iron and phosphate from a precipitate when they bind. Try adding a lot of both to some water. I did it in chem one day. It formed almost a solid brick.

Thanks, Brook.. this is dedicated to the theory of bodies of liquid water that once existed on the red planet! :)

Joey, that's pretty interesting!

Anyways... plants are starting to look much better and are growing back. The E-Series is getting the plants to pearl and reds are developing. Hopefully it will all grow out nicely. I might subtract and add new plants just to change the look slightly. I'm thinking of trying Rotala mexicana or Vietnam. Also, I'll stick one Blyxa Japonica in here somewhere.

Although, if I can find Blyxa aubertii, I think I'd rather stick that in here.

Pogostemon Stellatus v. Narrow leaf would look cool, Brian. I'm also a huge fan of Ludwigia inclinata var. Pantanal. Very pretty. Price has also come down a lot.

Pogostemon Stellatus v. Narrow leaf would look cool, Brian. I'm also a huge fan of Ludwigia inclinata var. Pantanal. Very pretty. Price has also come down a lot.

Oops... didn't respond to this! Thanks, Joey! I'll give those options a good look over. Just when it's not so darn hot maybe I can get some deliveries :)

3 Week Update - Grown with just the E-Series

It's only been 3 weeks on my 60p, but growth is taking place! The recovery effort is turning out successful so far.

Before and After Shot:
14665028855_05f3596fb3_o.jpg

14478391659_77b2a361ca_c.jpg

14478390019_369282f1ac_c.jpg

14662755844_07842c3642_c.jpg

14664669182_683ddacebf_b.jpg

New Resident (Permanent or Temporary)?

New resident!!! To stay or not to stay, that is the question?

Crowntail Betta... He's like a Blood-Orange color, which I thought would look cool in here. My GF doesn't really like it... but I got bored and picked him up for now. I can always rehome him in another tank if I feel he doesn't fit in...LOL :confused:

14661810051_cd9b3b7266_b.jpg

14478346360_a96c8caa7a_b.jpg

14478346400_544f64294e_b.jpg

14478395458_58203f09e0_b.jpg

You are such a magician with the before and after shots. Impressive indeed. Is that fissedens growing on the DW?
I say keep the betta. Nice color and finnage. Don't listen to her. Listen to the voices, umm, I mean, suggestions from strangers over the internet.

Sir... just fine.. fine indeed! That beta looks like the king in his sweet planted castle!!

Haha... Thanks Fresh! I really wanted some exotic fish like a cool apisto, but i don't have the time and resources to go looking for one. This guy was an impulse buy at petco. I imagined his flared out fins looking like some cool lion fish you'd see in a sw tank! LOL

Yeah that's mini fiss on the DW. The high light is growing it back but I'm also starting to see some fuzzy algae in it. I'm going to try sticking some PFR neos in here or Amano shrimp.

When I cleaned up this tank i must have removed a dense softball size of mini fiss off it. Almost left it pretty much bare bones. As you can see, it's bouncing back. I also just got done treating the mini fiss I removed from some green fuzz algae. Man that stuff was resilient, but the mini fiss was more resilient to survive the treatment :)

Sir... just fine.. fine indeed! That beta looks like the king in his sweet planted castle!!

Yup, he sure does flare out his manly-hood to show everyone he's boss. He's like in a luxury mansion instead of living in that cup at petco! Haha

Boss of the moss aka mossboss

New video of the E-Series in action on my 60p. Timelapse at the end of the ramp down (15 minutes sped up to 1.3 minutes). Also got some footage of my plants pearling. Just 3 weeks since re-planted and my tank is making progress :)

Okay, so it's been 5 weeks so far and the recovery has been successful. The UG is filling back in and almost fully carpeted the foreground. The AR mini went from super tiny nubs to nice full development in leaf size and color. The R. Macrandra is developing more red. The Blyxa Japonica in increasing in size and has a side-shoot already. While the Rotala Rotundifolia is growing the fastest in this tank, it's still on the green side. There's slight color development. I've read this plant can be tricky in getting it red. Oh well, I don't really care...I'll give it some time and see how the tips get after a few trimmings and replantings. Also, I think the Rotala Magenta isn't looking all that nice. I might get rid of it soon if it doesn't start looking better soon.

On a side note, not with the plants but with the substrate. I'm starting to notice is this blackish gunk that's developing in the substrate that you can see through the glass. I'm not sure what it is? I stirred it away with a hypodermic needle 2 weeks ago and it disappeared. It reappeared and looks slightly worse. So yesterday I injected it with some H2O2 to see if it's some type of algae. It bubbled up a lot so it might be doing something. I'm going to keep at it until it looks clean again. But it is apparent that this is a disadvantage to using a light colored substrate such as Africana versus Amazonia, which would be better at concealing discoloration like this and mulm/detritus.

Well here are the update pics.

14564031999_92c8b51eaa_b.jpg

14727455306_59b44468b5_b.jpg

14770322933_7716200f9f_b.jpg

14750150292_64ef6c0b96_b.jpg

Check out the PEARLING on the Rotala! :icon_smil
14727456186_7f2e773b89_h.jpg

Red developing more in the R. Macrandra (plus pearling!):
14747291611_575faf0b91_b.jpg

Man.. save those pics for tpt.. making me feel bad over here;)

Epic. The AR mini looks blood red. I'm sure the manufacturers of the lights, tank, and substrate would love to use these pics as testaments for their products.

Back
Top Bottom