Brian's ADA 60P (17g) Rimless - Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those reds are INSANE!!! Ecoxotic should (and I've said this before) use your tank as a testament for their product line. Throw ADA and Brightwell in there as well. Simply outstanding. My tank looks like a farm; things grow. This tank looks like a piece of art.
This is a long overdue update but worth it. You are putting AR mini on the high demand list. Getting it to be bright red is quite an achievement. I call that pursuit "Chasing the Reds".

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks Fresh! I give it another month and I'll have everything trimmed and filled in the way I imagine it. It might be longer if I decide to move the blyxa japonica and get the blyxa auberti.

On another note, when the lights are on full blast, the reds are definitely there but not as deep and vibrant as pictured. I didn't Photoshop these either other than a little contrast/brightness adjustments. The key to getting the red to look so good in photos is attributed partially and substantially to dimming the light and bumping up the red channel. The reds really reflect well off the plant.

Edit:
I also dose Seachem Fe, aside from my normal PPS-Pro regimen. Not sure if that has anything to do with it either.

Last edited:
Wow your tank looks awesome. It is a toss up between your tank and fresh's tank...they both look amazing though. I envy your two tanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You really have a great eye for scaping! When you update, I know we are in for a treat.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wow your tank looks awesome. It is a toss up between your tank and fresh's tank...they both look amazing though. I envy your two tanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks fish wrangler!

You really have a great eye for scaping! When you update, I know we are in for a treat.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Awesome... Thanks for the compliment.

Wow, incredible. It never ceases to amaze me how your plants have not one nutrient deficiency to be spotted. Great job. (y)

Thanks man.. Just algae here and there.

I believe he doses EI. A lot easier to keep nutrients with EI dosing.

Nope.. stick to PPS-Pro. I only modified it by doubling up on PO4 when I mix the macros. I also dose 4mL of Seachem Fe twice a week. I believe the aquasoil also provides a nice cushion from deficiencies.

EI is a no brainer

Yeah I believe it's a very good method. Dr. Barr definitely endorses this method above all else. However, I'm too lazy to do 50% PWC's weekly to go with it. PPS-Pro hasn't let me down yet, so no reason for me to switch.

I think I'll be making the switch.
I see extra work and buying more ferts more frequently in your future. Good news is that you'll burn more calories, have a slightly lighter wallet, and you'll have very happy plants! ;)

EI is just easier. Especially if you already do 50% water change weekly. I dose my entire weeks micros and macros straight after my water change. Don't have to worry about the tank at all then which frees me up to play with the plants lol

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I should be sleeping right now, but caught my AR 'mini' doing the pearling thing earlier, so I snapped a shot :)

16026214507_af11aa4c30_b.jpg

If there is in fact a heaven above. That picture is hanging in the waiting room!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wow Brian! You have the AR mini looking as good as I have ever seen it. It is no small feat. As usual with you, all your plants and scaping shows your artistic talent. It's good that artists like you give us "not so inclined" a standard to try and emulate. Beautiful!
Congrats....OS.

Hey Brian! Nice to see you on the boards.. Thanks for the compliment.. You guys are all doing well in terms of scapes. All our tanks' plant complement are starting to look the same (they're that good).

Wow Brian! You have the AR mini looking as good as I have ever seen it. It is no small feat. As usual with you, all your plants and scaping shows your artistic talent. It's good that artists like you give us "not so inclined" a standard to try and emulate. Beautiful!
Congrats....OS.

Hey OS!!!
Brian is always setting the bar here. Way high.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A quick update for this evening. I finally got around to spot treating the BBA on the Ohko stones with some H202. They fizzed up nicely but will follow-up with a couple of more treatments soon. Also trimmed down the plants and mowed down the UG lawn.

I like how some of the fissidens that attached itself to the stones are growing into nice lush bushes. I think this contrasts well against the UG. I'm thinking of ditching the purple cambomba on the back left and adding some myrio red when I'm able to propagate more stems.

Here are a few pics :)

15667777424_84ffdeac1a_b.jpg

Before the trim. H202 making it look like alka seltzer in my tank!

16289359452_cb84175ec4_h.jpg

Couple days after... BBA looks somewhat phased. I think two more treatments should do it.

16264265846_b61d54336e_b.jpg

Side view.

Great looking tank Brian,really diggin on the contrast in color..

Getcha sleeves wet fish tank people!

Back
Top Bottom