Bright green and hard to scrub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sc166

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have this bright green-what I'll assume is a type of algae- growing on the the glass. My algae eat does not eat it (which is why I'm confused) and when I tried to wipe it off with a rag, it was really hard to get rid off. I really had to scrub at it. It does not grow/ multiply very quickly. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446313608.006825.jpg
Not the best picture but at least it gives an idea.

Any suggestions on what it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks like green spot algae. Probably caused by prolonged lighting duration and/or intensity. If you scrub it it will just come back.

What size tank is it? What type of lighting and how long are the lights on for?

You can add a siesta period that is supposed to benefit live plants and slow algae growth. 8am-1pm on 1pm-5pm off and 5pm-9pm on seems to be a good start with a total duration of 8 hours.

Do you have live plants?

+1 to Caliban.

It's GSA and isn't uncommon in planted tanks.

Most "algae eaters" don't even make a noticeable difference.

Caleb

It's a 29 gallon tank, there are a 3 real plants but they're small, LED lighting and they're on between 10 and 15 hours a day (turn on when I wake up turned off when I go to bed)

It's a 29 gallon tank, there are a 3 real plants but they're small, LED lighting and they're on between 10 and 15 hours a day (turn on when I wake up turned off when I go to bed)

That's why. Past 8 hours daily you will see algae growth.

Caleb

Yeah, get a cheap timer and set it for 8 hours or so.

What kind of LED lights? LED lighting is all over the place; the most powerful lights are LED but the least powerful are as well.

If it's a stock lighting then dropping the duration will help.

I always just use a scrub brush about once every two weeks. That's better than a rag. Luckly it's really slow growing.

Back
Top Bottom