brine shrimp question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stradt03

Aquarium Advice Regular
I purchased a 16oz package of frozen brine shrimp and upon opening it i noticed that it is just one massive block of brown mass. How do i feed this to the fish? do i just cube it up and drop a cube in the tank? I tried thawing it but that just made a smelly mess.

help please

Jason

Yes, it is meant to be cut up into small pieces and feed with a cone or just dissolve in small amount of tank water.

Personally, I would not feed frozen brine. despite what LFS might tell you it has little nutritional value. I would opt for mysis shrimp. Brine shrimp can be used as a treat if you want to use up what you purchased. Think of it like giving your fish candy or twinkies.

Much better otions out there. Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news. We were just discussing this in another thread:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=62021&highlight=

HTH,

do NOT put directly the cube in the tank. Just put it in a small bucket filled with water (tap water is OK). wait couple of minutes until it dissolves and use a small fishing net to collect the brines and feed you fishes. Wait that all the brines have been eaten before adding more.

Agree with above, mysis is a much better option. Brine has little to none nutritional value.
The packing material does contain a lot of PO4, best to thaw and drain it before feeding.

My first LFS also recommended frozen brine when I got my first fish and I had nothing but problems. My Damsel wouldnt' eat it and I believe that it did help feed an outbreak of Cayno.

My new LFS recommended flake and all is well. Both of my fish take it (Dottyback and Damsel) and it is much easier to control portions. I do, on occasion feed the brine to them as a treat.

in the future, I will also try anther frozen mix, Formula One from Ocean Nutrition. I heard that this is pretty good and I heard that mixing up what you feed your fish is a good practice.

I am a newbie....but this is what I have learned so far...

John

Back
Top Bottom