Bristle worm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rafecci

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a new tank that I am letting cycle. day 3 and still discovering lots of goodies. I have found what matches the description and picture of a bristle worm. But I am also reading that its NOT a good critter to have? Any suggestions for the newbie?

He is about 3 inches long.....has ventured out of the rocks and goes from rock to rock. very active little critter.

They are a with caution critter. THe larger they get the hungry they grow. In most cases u will not see them during the day. But if you see a 6 inch worm foraging during the day i would remove it. If touched they will curl up and long grip type device will remove them.

I have always found them to be beneficial (detrivore and feeding upon carrion) unless you have a large predatory worm such as Eunicidae or a rare corralivore. Until you actually see one consuming other prized inhabitants I would leave them be :)

I agree with James. I value them as a great compliment to my clean up crew. I have never had any issues with mine. One piece of advice, to not pick them up with your bare hands because they a a somewhat nasty sting.

Back
Top Bottom