Bristlenose Pleco Rasping Onto Internal Filter All the Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottsheldrick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I've had my Kuhli Loaches and a Bristlenose Pleco for about 2 weeks now and I am beginning to wonder why my Pleco always chooses to rasp onto my internal filter rather than the driftwood cave i made it which I have recently expanded with indian almond leaves to provide more cover..?

Could it be that my 4 loaches choose to hang out there and it doesn't want to share space? I've also got a little 'spongebob square pants pineapple house' ornament that provides plenty of cover however none of the fish hang out there..

It couldnt be oxygenation because Ive recently remedied that with an air stone.

Also how long does it take for new fish to come out at feeding time? Ive had my kuhli's and pleco for a few weeks now and they still dont come out when I throw in flakes, brine, broccoli or bloodworm.

Obviously I cant comment on what they all do at night because the tank is in total darkness but I'm just a bit bummed that my fish still seem so stressed..

Thanks for your help!

Pleco is getting after the biofilm on the filter, it's normal. They probably just don't like songebob?? Maybe try a marvel character?? They're all nocturnal so... what type lighting, more subdued lighting may coax them out during the daytime. I forgot I even had khulis haha..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha thanks for putting me at ease! I have pretty bright LEDs that ive tried dulling with A4 paper but also have live plants that need the light.. do you know why the pleco wouldnt be eating algae wafers? Any other ideas to make sure it is eating enough fibre because i have never seen it rasping on the driftwood..

try a marvel, lmmmmmfao, my BN doesn't rasp on the drift wood either except a few times, he likes the glass or my plants lol, get off my plants darn it lol, his name is Mr whiskers lol (named by my god son and God daughter)

try a marvel, lmmmmmfao, my BN doesn't rasp on the drift wood either except a few times, he likes the glass or my plants lol, get off my plants darn it lol, his name is Mr whiskers lol (named by my god son and God daughter)

Haha! I havent caught mine on the plants yet which is good and i found it in its driftwood cave for the first time this morning which was a relief (mustve seen me posting on the forum haha!).

My partner named the pleco 'kylie' due to the likeness of its big lips to kylie jenner! [emoji30]

Its still a juvenile though so yet to confirm whether its a boy or girl yet, will be very awkward if t turn out to be a boy!!!

Lmmmmmfao, you will tell by the bristles, and yes that will be really odd

Back
Top Bottom