Bristlenose pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Afn_Black

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, i recently bought a bristlenose pleco from small, at the shop it said it grows 15cm, which is fine for my tank, but i was wondering how quick will it grow? ThanksImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412720738.634713.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

from what I know they are slow growers. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

4-5". How bigs the tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay thanks, the tanks 112L

Mine have grown really fast. I bought them several months ago and they were so small and fragile looking. They are well past half grown already.

I thought they were fast growers, was a bit unsure though. What size are yours now, do you have any pics?

Huh must have gotten better stock than that of what I've seen- 29 gal with some guppies, danios, basic stuff and the Pleco was a year old and 2.5, a relative's tank

I think it'll just depend on how many times you feed them and what type of food, also was there driftwood in your tank? As i know they like to munch on that

Wasn't my tank

They are about 3 inches now. I don't have any recent pics. I will try to remember to get one tomorrow.

1 have two and they were the same size when I got them, about an inch long. I got them about 3 months ago and one is 3 inches long and the other is 6 inches long. Amazingly fast. The big ones quite a bully and hordes all the food and won't let the other eat, wish I only got one, but the LFS said they don't like to be alone. I haven't seen them " bonding" since I got them. lol.

1 have two and they were the same size when I got them, about an inch long. I got them about 3 months ago and one is 3 inches long and the other is 6 inches long. Amazingly fast. The big ones quite a bully and hordes all the food and won't let the other eat, wish I only got one, but the LFS said they don't like to be alone. I haven't seen them " bonding" since I got them. lol.

Try adding more plants/decorations and put food at opposite ends of the tank so they don't see each other.

I also give veggies twice a week and have at least two veggie clips in there far apart when I do. They leave each other alone because they're too busy sucking on their own veggie slice.

Depends on how often you feed them supplemental algae tablets but mine are growing painfully slow only 4 or 5 inches one of them. The other has tb his spine is so crooked he can barely swim but he's been alive for close to a year! He has trouble swimming sometimes but he is doing great. I sometimes see them come over and grab a smell of beef heart once and a while

Thanks guys. Ill make sure i give him some veggies to then! Also i know other breeds of plecos eat live plants, does the bristlenose?

Yes, it has destroyed some of my plants ( though it took a while). From what I have read, they love cucumbers ( but these can cause havoc on your filter if you don't remove it before 36-48 hours and there aren't too many nutrients initial for the plecos), they also like blanched carrots and zucchini. I am still trying a few different things ( for instance my plecos are not at all interested in fruit so far). I try to feed my plecos some veggies at least 2-3 times a week as it saves my plants from being eaten like crazy.

Thanks for this advice, very good. Where did you get your veggie clips?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412786921.284519.jpg

Giving the cucumber a try!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412789562.961000.jpg

Cool. Also blanched broccoli stems are good as well. :)

You might want to put the cucumber at the bottom for ease of access.

Back
Top Bottom