Bristlenose Plecostomus Profile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason7894561230

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all,
From popular request i am going to be doing Bristlenose Plecostomus, enjoy

Description
One of the most popular Plecostomus is the Bristlenose Plecostomus. These guys are one of the most common fish in the aquarist world. Consisting of a dark body with small white dots. They are small and inexpensive when bought and can grow to a max of 10-13cm. They are a wonderful fish to ahve because they constantly graze for algea and uneaten food. But in my experience can be quite shy from time to time. They can live for a good 12 years when cared for well and will grow bristles around their mouths when maturing. Only males develop the bristles while the females accumliate none.
These fish can also be labeled the "Bushynose" Plecostomus. And they are often refered to as Catfish.

Habitat & Care
These fish can live in temperatures of 18*C but a temperature of 21-25* is much better. Also this fish should have plenty of hiding spots and Plenty of driftwood for them to chew and gnaw on.
They should be kept in paraments as follows- Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0-40
Ph 6.5-7.0
Hardness 4-20
But these fish can be kept in a wide variety of paraments if accumliated well.

Diet
These guys will eat all of your algea and will keep the tank clean but they also need wood as mentioned above for the to chew and hid in. But their diet should be supplimentied with sinking pellets, carrot, sweet pototoe, lettuce, peas, cucumber they also eat blood worms and uneaten flake food.

So just to finish if your thinking of getting a pleco then consider this little guy they stay small and are an awesome addition to any tank and finally some pictures

Bristlenose-Catfish-3.jpg

MorkoOnGurko.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an albino variety of this pleco.. and honestly he's terrific.. lots of personality really... and all over the tank.. he has a favorite cave, but I still see him out quite a bit.. Hubby named him Shopvac...

sigh..

Gina

Thanks for the great profile, Jason.

I got an albino longfin variety a few days ago and he is now my favorite fish in the tank! He's all over my tank and so far doesn't hide at all, he loves hanging out in the leaves of my Moneywort! I'm so happy to learn he can live so long! 

Also with the longfin variety they can be a bit more touchy than the normal version because of the genetics of breeding them so they just require some more care

Nice you should think about doing a pitbull plec aswell thatll be cool.

IME almost every freshwater tank should have bristlenose plecos. If you have enough (depending on tank size) they will do all your algae control for you. They will not suck on discus or fancy goldfish the way other plecos will. They will not bother plants. They can go in almost any temp (from room temp with axolotls and fancy goldfish to 88F with discus). They can also go in almost any type of water (from pH 4.5 with discus to 8.2+ with rift lake cichlids). They will also eat almost any type of algae. I wouldn't have a freshwater tank without them.

Jason7894561230 said:
Also with the longfin variety they can be a bit more touchy than the normal version because of the genetics of breeding them so they just require some more care

Okay. And what does that additional care involve? Stable water conditions, special diet?

I've got a Pleco and I see you're feeding it a slice of cucumber in your pic. How do you manage to safely anchor the veg to keep it from floating around?

Fishstix said:
I've got a Pleco and I see you're feeding it a slice of cucumber in your pic. How do you manage to safely anchor the veg to keep it from floating around?

What I do is I use a rubber band and a piece of flat stone.

I just stick it to the tines of an old fork and drop it in. works with zucchini, spinach, sweet potato... whatever you want to offer. I only push it in deep enough to hold, the ends don't stick out. So far, no injury. Ive seen others use a skewer and jab it into the substrate too..

Thanks for the advice. I'm somewhat hesitant about the old fork method though. Wouldn't like to have metal leeching contaminants into the tank. Maybe I'll try using some 30lb fishing line tied to something else to weigh it down.

I heard one could blanch it to make it sink but I usually use those weights that come on stem plants. If you don't have any you can ask your LFS if they have any extra lying around. They may give you a handful.

Just passing on what I do.. it's stainless, so there is no leaching...

How many should be in a 30 long? I'm guessing one. And how could you get a common pleco out of an aquarium? I can't get a net around him.

[Also if you want to hold down cuccumber there is this thing on Ebay call Cucumsscrew

How many should be in a 30 long? I'm guessing one. And how could you get a common pleco out of an aquarium? I can't get a net around him.
One pleco per aquariuam i think it best but if you want two than thats fine but remeber their high bio load. To get the pleco out is to remove everything then with 2 nets surround and and gradually bring the net upwatds

Okay. And what does that additional care involve? Stable water conditions, special diet?
The onl more care they need is a stable aqaurium and more frequent water changes like instead of say 20% each week do 30% each week

Back
Top Bottom